In-Floor Cleaning System Water Valve Thumping & Hammering

tiride

Apr 30, 2015
Neptune Beach, FL
I noticed my water valve for my in-floor cleaning system is making a thumping noise. It starts with a slight clicking and the sound of swirling water builds up then a loud thump. After the thumping it gets quiet again.l Sometimes it's one thump and other times there are several consecutive thumps and the valve will literally shake. The thumping is worse at higher pump speeds. Can someone help me diagnose this?

I also don't know what kind of water valve this is but I think it's an A&A. Any help with identifying the model or how I can identify the necessary parts would be much appreciated. I suspect it could be the gears are bad (9 yrs old) and if that's the case I'm not sure which ones will fit in mine. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Water Valve Pic.jpeg
    Water Valve Pic.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 6
Look on the popups for a clue as to the IFCS manufacturer. Most times, the manufacturer is on the flat top surface.

It could be air working its way thru the water valve or it could be the water valve gearset and/or flappers are worn out.
Do you see air bubble coming out of the infloor popups?
If so, determine where air is getting in and resolfe that issue.
If not, with pump off, remofe the water valve top and inspect the internals.

I got into the water valve today. It's an A&A low profile 6 port valve. I was able to clearly see sever gear teeth were broken. I reassembled and ordered a replacement gear kit. I'll keep my pump running at a minimum speed until the parts arrive so I don't hear the banging. As always I appreciate the guidance. You all are great. Thank you!

Also check the condition of the T-valves/flappers that control which port is active.
Likely, a new gearset will remedy what you are experiencing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.