Autocover pumps and freezing

Poolman9, I don't think of autocovers being *meant* to be winter covers, bearing the weight of snow and rain so heavily. Yeah, some do use them so, but it is a bit of a risk to the cover...y'know?

Who made your cover? What's the manual say?

Maddie :flower:

Maddie, we were told that the autocover would serve as a winter cover as long as the level was maintained just below the skimmer- it floats on the top of the water. It's an APC cover, made right here in central Indiana.

Jlayer, that's the same pump we have so good news that it will do the job here!

Thanks
Jeff

Maddie here in the central part of Missouri we have been installing and using auto covers for year around use. We have only had one customer to have issues and they could not get it in their heads that they needed to keep the water pumped off. It pulled the track off two years in a row because of that. They finally sold the house new owner gets it.

Maddie here in the central part of Missouri we have been installing and using auto covers for year around use. We have only had one customer to have issues and they could not get it in their heads that they needed to keep the water pumped off. It pulled the track off two years in a row because of that. They finally sold the house new owner gets it.

That's good to hear. But I wonder about far North where the snow might sit on the ground for weeks or more? Do you think that is a potential problem?

Maddie :flower:

Getting buried under lots of snow is what seems to kill pool pumps. I now bring in my cover pumps before the first big snow and then put it out once a thaw starts and the ground is showing. Once you get snow on the ground and freezing temps the pumps are of no use and water in the hose freezes and blocks it.

I use the Little Giant APCP-1700 on my main pool cover and this smaller pump on my spa cover.

IMG_0482(1) (Medium).jpg

IMG_0358(1) (Medium).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.