Auto fill for new pool consturction

Sk8Surfr

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
South Florida
I have searched and can't figure this one out... New pool build - I would like to have an autofill for the pool. From what I have found - I have a 1.5inch equalizer line from the pool that connects to the 'bucket' of the autofill? and then the bucket has the float and connection for the house water?

I have not done plaster yet or my deck - doing that in the next two weeks. I thought I was able to tie into the skimmer somewhere but maybe I'm mistaken.

Unsure but my auto fill is next to my skimmer and has a return in the pool below/beside the skimmer. It has a travertine cap next to the skimmer.

Also note, many jurisdictions prohibit a connection to the irrigation system as that is technically a non-potable water source.

If connected to a house water line there is also usually a requirement for a back flow preventer so pool water can't flow back into the house water lines.

The time to find out it is prohibited in your area is not when a building inspector fails you pool build.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Also note, many jurisdictions prohibit a connection to the irrigation system as that is technically a non-potable water source.

If connected to a house water line there is also usually a requirement for a back flow preventer so pool water can't flow back into the house water lines.

The time to find out it is prohibited in your area is not when a building inspector fails you pool build.
Correct! Any connection into the pool plumbing must have a backflow preventer, not just a check valve, and in my experience, must be installed by a licensed plumber.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is a CMP 25504 water leveler. You can search it on Amazon and it comes up with it. Not sure if that is the cheapest place to purchase. Mine is installed next to the skimmer and is like the others, a bucket with a float valve.

If using a bucket style no plumber or backflow preventer is needed. That is only necessary when connecting to the pools pressurized plumbing with a levelor or similar system.
Good info - thank you. Going to pour the deck next week - So I will set this first. Looked at the pentair bucket one - looks simple enough - 1.5 inch through hole to pool. 3/4 intake from my house water supply.

I picked up the Pentair auto fill for my pool that's still under construction. The instructions state that the equalizer line should be a straight 1 1/2' pvc line from bucket to pool with no 45 or 90 degree fittings, but since I'm using a return fitting precut on the hydra steel panels, roughly 12" lower then the level point leading into the Pentair bucket, I'll be using 2" flex line from point a to point b, a smooth curve upward where no air can be trapped. Same principle as using a water level during old school construction to level the same point, even in different rooms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.