Austin, TX - Above Ground Salt Water Pool in Canyon - Construction Started 09/30/19

Do the corners look as good up close as they do in the pics??? Man I am loving that!

Kim:kim:

I think it looks quite nice. I haven't gone in to the pool to see it from there. There's also a piece of wood still in the corner with a piece of paper taper to it which was used to attach the string which was used to level off the cement, so you can see it in the picture at the corner. It'll look better once they remove that.

Reactions: Luke Skywalker
Things have been slow, partially due to a ton of rain Austin has had. Also, my pool builder and the person on his team that designed the pool had a mis-communication and didn't cut the concrete at the 45 degree in-angle (knife edge) that we agreed upon, so a team spent two days cutting concrete and re-finishing. Cast concrete coping and some waterline tile has gone in. Finally, some substantial sewer plumbing work was done in the bathroom.

Glass work should be done any day now and then the travertine pavers. PB says end of March finish date (including bathroom/kitchen), but I'm not buying it. If it's done by the end of April, I'd say that's a miracle...

Sewage for toilet with some intricate 360 feed ins from the urinal:
View attachment 127669

Waterline tile (we went with a very dark and natural tile to make the glass work the showcase. The goal of the waterline was to help blend in with the darker green treeline, etc:
View attachment 127660

Cast concrete coping (salt water somewhat limited our options here):
View attachment 127661

More waterline and the beginning of the wall and fountain:
View attachment 127662

45 degree cut-in knife edge. This will be glass:
View attachment 127663

More knife-edge:
View attachment 127664View attachment 127665

Waterline tile and additional wall/fountain build-up:
View attachment 127666

View attachment 127667

Here's the glass tile which will be on the knife edge, spa spill-over, step linings, etc:
View attachment 127668
I like this Tile!

What a cool project. I'm planning to put in the same type of bubblers on the shelf. Did you include aeration or just pump-driven? What a huge and daunting project. Hats off to you, and thank you for the step by step on the progress. I look forward to it.

What a cool project. I'm planning to put in the same type of bubblers on the shelf. Did you include aeration or just pump-driven? What a huge and daunting project. Hats off to you, and thank you for the step by step on the progress. I look forward to it.

I'm 99% sure it's pump driven, but I may have confused that with the concrete fountain/bowls.

Reactions: DB-Cooper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Making some progress, we're starting on the kitchen. I just ordered a ton of stuff: grill, side-burner, fridge, access doors, etc. The kitchen will be split-face that matches the travertine we just put in. This week and next week my bar stools are coming in, the coping for the spa top, the remaining glass tile around the steps/tanning ledge. Fencing/gates is going up next week and then pebel is expected the week after next.

Here's the split-face that'll make up the kitchen island and cover the fountain area (poor image quality, sorry):
Untitled.jpgUntitled 2.jpg

Some picture updates...

Spa glass picture, this is before it was finished/grouted:
2020-03-07_09-34-42.jpg
2020-03-07_09-34-22.jpg

Fountain area built-up. The cinder blocks will be covered in matching splitface travertine:
2020-03-07_09-35-02.jpg2020-03-07_09-35-04.jpg

Close up of the knife-edge corner:
2020-03-11_19-10-55.jpg

Still slow go over here. We had a lot of rain this week, but I've now started to really squeeze my PB given how slow things are and the general uncertainty of everything. He said we're scheduled for fencing early next week and plaster/pebel next Friday, we shall see. Water would go into the pool shortly after that of course.

Since the last post, glass tile around the spa spillover and a roof was put on my kitchen. They're going to start the kitchen next week as well (allegedly).

Here you can see the roof and spa spillover:
2020-03-16_17-28-17.jpg

Reactions: kimkats
After they shoot your pool's plaster of choice, see if you can get them to wait six hours before starting the fill. It helps the plaster set up.

Then once you start the fill do NOT stop it for any reason or you risk interruption lines in the color.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: wireform
After they shoot your pool's plaster of choice, see if you can get them to wait six hours before starting the fill. It helps the plaster set up.

Then once you start the fill do NOT stop it for any reason or you risk interruption lines in the color.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, I asked my PB a few weeks ago, and I thought he said after they shoot the pool, they come back either later that day or the next day to scrub/brush/wash (something to that effect) and then immediately fill. He also mentioned that they do not stop filling. I'm in waste water measuring, so I've also got the city on board to back out the ~30K gallons (but they can do that all after the next meter read).

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.