Are borates OK with an automated system?

What do you hope to accomplish with borates ? They are expensive and if you follow TFPC, they are rarely needed.

Was considering for better algae control?
OK so it's a waste of funds. Proper chlorinating levels is what keeps algae at bay. *nothing* else. No matter what anyone wants to sell you.

Follow FC/CYA Levels and algae will never be an issue.
I had the impression that borates were also recommended here?
We have moved away from them for most members. We've come a long way since the BBB days. A third of a million members reporting real world results will do that. :)

Was hoping for an easy fix :)
More chlorine is the answer. I wish people obsessed over having enough chlorine, the way they obsess over trying to find ways around chlorine.

Me ? I target above target range and that little bit of extra covers me for anything that pops up, such as a particularly high UV day, a big storm, or an impromptu get together. When I lose FC, I fall back into target range, not below it.

What’s considered an ideal orp? Or does it need to be regularly/occasionally adjusted to match the chlorine readings?

ORP is a proxy measurement. How it correlates to FC is going to be unique to most pools as the chemistry of the water can affect ORP readings in addition to the chlorine levels. Heck, even sunlight affects ORP. You would be best served by not putting false hopes into an ORP probe. Get your FC in the right range by using a direct measurement test kit (DPD-FAS titration) and then simply use ORP as a reference. It is not a replacement for actually measuring FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.