Aquarite P4 connection to Superflo (as a two speed pump) - PUMP DOESN'T TURN ON BY AUTOMATION

Meter should arrive today so I can do testing. Pentair, this morning, told me that anytime EXTERNAL MODE is entered, the speed will say 0 so that is not a problem. She felt that if we assume the pump is not bad (ie. getting the start signal and ignoring it) then it has to be the wiring or the board and since the board is new, it is probably the wiring. She said another test with the meter could be to "test the continuity of the black cable cord from pump to end wires."

However, when I look at the cord removed from the pump, I don't understand where you put the probe on the black connector end since it is a bunch of small female holes. Is this basically the same thing you said to do only you want the black cord attached and test the cord between the screw of the green ground wire and the end of each (or is this an additional test)?
IMG_2540.JPG

UPDATE - Tested the four wires in the black cable for continuity. All is fine.
UPDATE - No way for me to test 5v out after plugging cable back into pump. Doing ground and red wire showed zero but Pentair said the easiest way to be sure cable and pump are fine is to touch the red wire with the white wire without connecting anything to automation and see if that turns on pump. I did that and YES it turns on pump. This, according to Pentair, suggests it is the automation settings/etc.

Note that in this picture red was always connect to white and white is load out on automation.
Also white is connected to the black and feeds into black which is load in on automation.
Frustrating because no one touched the wiring.

:IMG_2538.jpg

If you test from ground to the white or black wire from the pump, do you get 5 volts ac or 5 volts dc?

When you push the filter button, do you get continuity between terminals 1 and 3 and between 2 and 4? Test with the wires not connected to the pump wires.

When you replaced the main circuit board, did you plug in the relay actuator power to the correct socket?

When you push the filter button, do you get 24 volts dc at the relay coil? The relay coil is the two small wires at the top of the relay.

Earlier, you said this:

Okay, we are on to something. When I removed splice and touched black and then white to RED, nothing happens!

But, now you're saying that touching white to red does turn on the pump?

What speed is activated by touching white to red?

If you touch white to blue, does that activate a speed?

Last edited:
Your patience knows no bounds. I think most people would have stopped corresponding with me. Thank you again. Let me address each request with my lack of knowledge. Below is the board in case that helps direct me.

1) Pump ground to any of the four wires - with pump on external mode, I get no reading from any. This might be because I am not doing something right in terms of ground. The ground green wire from the pump is attached to the pump with some kind of bolt so I haven't had the option except to touch the bolt/screw (see previous pic of pump with green wire). Based on its location, it is very difficult to hold a probe bending over the pump and reaching while trying to use my other hand to touch the probe with a wire. In addition, I don't know whether the red or black probe goes to the ground. This is why Pentair said there was no reason to do anything other than touch the wires together while in external mode to see if it starts the pump.

2) With pump disconnected from automation but in external mode. Touching red wire to white turns on the pump. I do not know the speed because it has to go through its 3 minute priming mode. Likewise touching red wire to black turns on the pump...again starting with priming mode. Since the pump has worked as two speed, I assume that this is speed one and two though don't know which is which. Pentair says since the pump has worked for 2 years in this mode and the pump turns on (even though you are using a different cable), there is no issue with the pump. FYI-touching red to blue does nothing.

3) When you push the filter button, do you get continuity between terminals 1 and 3 and between 2 and 4? Test with the wires not connected to the pump wires. I was told that you can test stuff as long as the automation is believing that the pump should be on. Pressing the filter button now (since it is on) would activate the slow speed (if everything working). In addition, I have no idea what terminals 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 are. Perhaps I can take a picture for you or use previous pics. I know there is the row of 4 with two screws each which the wires are connected to that sits below the mother board.

4) When you push the filter button, do you get 24 volts dc at the relay coil? The relay coil is the two small wires at the top of the relay. Again, I don't know if I need to push the filter button since pump is on but I have no idea what the relay coil is or the relay (again maybe direct me using pic below).

5) When you replaced the main circuit board, did you plug in the relay actuator power to the correct socket? I didn't replace the board, a pool professional did with me standing around. I assume he did it right. I am willing to investigate but I have no idea what a relay actuator is or the correct socket (I found a picture of the board on sale and it is below if you want to direct me).

I am so sorry that I know nothing and I feel like I am taking so much of you generous time. All I can continue to say is thanks and I will understand a bow out of this. But...you are awesome.

Board.jpg

In the picture lower left to the right of the cell plug receiver there are two white strips.

The top strip is where the relays should plug in.

The bottom strip says PS8-AUXRELAYS 3-6. Arrow points to the bottom strip.

I have a feeling that the relay plug is not plugged in or it's plugged in to the bottom (wrong) strip.

Make sure that the relay plug is in the top plug receiver.

YOU GENIUS!!! OMG!!! YOU NAILED IT. As soon as I changed to top strip everything worked!! I knew there was no wiring issues and all of that effort but somehow it led you to the EXACT issue. Obviously, the installer didn't put the white strip and he caused me all this grief and 50+ hours of effort. Can I sue? LOL I will split the proceeds!!! Again, thank you thank you thank you for your time and effort and willingness and patience and everything! If you were here, I would embarrass you more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad we could help. Good job on getting it fixed. :goodjob:

Maybe you can get a refund from the "professional" who replaced the board for you. Why didn't they come back to help you figure out why it wouldn't work?

The reason the guy didn't come back is that he spent two hours trying to figure it out and finally blamed it on either the board or the pump or a wiring issue, etc. I actually thought he was great to spend so much time trying to figure it out but when I contacted him later (before you got involved), he wouldn't respond. Doesn't matter - I am so happy right now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.