Aquacheck 7 test strip

Re: 3 weeks into pool ownership = already fed up with Leslie's

ACE Hardware has 10% on sale for $2.50 a gallon.

IMO the Aquacheck 7 test strip is as accurate as the TF-100 kit which is exactly same test the kids at Leslies perform. I generally trust their test results just not their advise.
I'm sorry to say that on both of your points we get hundreds, if not thousands of reports of very poor results of testing from pool stores as well as useless information from guess strips. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need accuracy in testing. Even IF guess strips were accurate (we don't believe they are in most cases) the ranges of results they give are just too wide for our system of pool care. As an example, FC on the strip will provide one of the following results 0, 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10. FC results form the FAS/DPD test in both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 can be any number in 0.2 increments from 0 all the way to 50. For CYA, the strip gives such wide ranges as to provide useless information; 0, 30-50, 100, 150, 300.

It is impossible to follow our system using these strips.

That is a great question Dave. I am genuinely interested in hearing how we, who have seen test strips give impossible information over and over again, are wrong. TC cannot be lower than FC, yet we see strips say that all the time. CYA doesn't jump from zero to 70 overnight without adding any, but saw it yesterday. If half the pad shows zero TA and half shows 300, which is it?

So please, don't leave us hanging. I look forward to your response more than anything else today :)

Packrat,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all wishful thinking pool owners... :drown:

If you want to see how accurate Pool $tore testing is, take the same sample to three different pool stores and compare the results...

Your answer will be pretty obvious..

It really makes little difference if you believe that your guess strips are accurate or not, because we don't. And for us to provide anyone with advise, we have to rely on results from one of the two kits we recommend. This way we are always comparing apples to apples.

Pool store testing works for many people because they don't mind having to add a weekly dose of "shock" to their pools. They don't care if their pools smell like the local public pool. They don't care if they have an algae outbreak a couple of times a year. They believe that is just what owning a pool is all about. You can't blame them, as this is how pool care is most often taught.

Thanks for the tip about the Liquid Chlorine,

Jim R.

I purchased the TF-100 kit and I also purchased the aquacheck 7 test strips. Have used both and compared to leslies results.

Why do you assume users of this forum are better at performing the test than the workers at Leslies? We are both doing the same test with the same taylor chemicals. I would expect the same variations would result as each individual will interrupt a little differently.

The ph test of all kits does not provide the means to be accurate. There should be a drop test to get to within .1 It is easier for me to compare a test strip to a color patch on the bottle verses trying to hold the k-1000 kit up to the light or is it a white background??? It is 7.5 or 7.6 or 7.7??? Ridiculous how you can't accurately measure a ph of 7.6 or 7.7 with these kits. Everyone see the color red a little differently so without an accurate results how can you accurately detirmine how much acid to add?

CYA add until I can't see the black spot, really, till I can't see it at all or sort of not see it. Again, is this the best the industry can come up with? Leslies test exactly the same way and we can all interpret the black spot differently.

CH test was a problem for me. using the speedstir the rate at which you add the R-0010 drops affect the result, go very slow adding drops and you will get a higher result. I was going slow motion and getting nearly twice the reading. I took my kit to leslies to compare and they showed me how you need to add the drops quickly to avoid this. They were very helpful.

I do agree the Chlorine Drop test is more accurate than test strip which seems to reads TC and seems higher is higher but anything is better that the K-1000 test kit which for me is hard to compare different shades of yellow-total waste of time and money. You should admit strips are better the the K-1000 kit which is included in the TF-100 kit.

In my experience the Aquacheck 7 results are in the same wide window that the taylor kits provide. I would not hesitate to recommended aquacheck 7 and do a test a leslies weekly.

I purchased the TF-100 kit and I also purchased the aquacheck 7 test strips. Have used both and compared to leslies results.

Why do you assume users of this forum are better at performing the test than the workers at Leslies? We are both doing the same test with the same taylor chemicals. I would expect the same variations would result as each individual will interrupt a little differently. Because they are salespeople and literally get paid to sell you things. Besides that, if you expect variations between two people why are you letting someone else test your water? Shouldn't you always have the same person do it, and to guarantee that shouldn't it always be you?

The ph test of all kits does not provide the means to be accurate. There should be a drop test to get to within .1 There isn't. It is easier for me to compare a test strip to a color patch on the bottle verses trying to hold the k-1000 kit up to the light or is it a white background??? It is 7.5 or 7.6 or 7.7??? Ridiculous how you can't accurately measure a ph of 7.6 or 7.7 with these kits. Everyone see the color red a little differently Citation Needed so without an accurate results how can you accurately detirmine how much acid to add? Your argument is that you shouldn't use a test that requires color matching, and then suggesting we use test strips that are NOTHING but color matching or go to Leslie's that will just use color matching?

CYA add until I can't see the black spot, really, till I can't see it at all or sort of not see it. Again, is this the best the industry can come up with?Nobody's going to stop you from inventing a better one Leslies test exactly the same way and we can all interpret the black spot differently. So again, why would you trust some salesperson to do it? Also the CYA test is supposed to be done in sunlight, is your Leslie's salesperson going outside to do it? If not then they are doing it incorrectly.

CH test was a problem for me. using the speedstir the rate at which you add the R-0010 drops affect the result, go very slow adding drops and you will get a higher result. I was going slow motion and getting nearly twice the reading. I took my kit to leslies to compare and they showed me how you need to add the drops quickly to avoid this. They were very helpful.

I do agree the Chlorine Drop test is more accurate than test strip which seems to reads TC and seems higher is higher but anything is better that the K-1000 test kit which for me is hard to compare different shades of yellow-total waste of time and money. You should admit strips are better the the K-1000 kit which is included in the TF-100 kit. It is explained many times here, perhaps you should do a bit more reading, that you are not using the OTO test for a number but an approximation. There is a reason we don't tell people they can get by with just a k-1000, you need the FAS-DPD for accurate results. However eventually a person learns their pool and its appetite for chlorine and can get by only using the FAS-DPD test a couple time a week while using the OTO test for a quick "yep there's chlorine" check

In my experience the Aquacheck 7 results are in the same wide window that the taylor kits provide.Experience not backed up by years and years of demonstrably terrible results from test strips. I would not hesitate to recommended aquacheck 7 and do a test a leslies weekly.And we will not hesitate to correct you every single time
As I said already, you are brand new. You apparently haven't seen the terrible results from test strips that we see over and over and over and over year after year. We will never recommend their use. I will never offer advice based on their results. And we will always be ready to take someone to task when they offer bad advice.

Why do you assume users of this forum are better at performing the test than the workers at Leslies? We are both doing the same test with the same taylor chemicals. I would expect the same variations would result as each individual will interrupt a little differently.
Because they care about thier pool. They are going to learn to take their time and get the right answer. Pool store employees for the most part are rushing through the tests and are more interested in what they can find "wrong" to drive chemical sales.

CYA add until I can't see the black spot, really, till I can't see it at all or sort of not see it. Again, is this the best the industry can come up with? Leslies test exactly the same way and we can all interpret the black spot differently.
Right now unfortunately this is the best test going. The problem is that pool store employees conduct the test in indoor subdued lighting which can skew the test results.

In my experience the Aquacheck 7 results are in the same wide window that the taylor kits provide. I would not hesitate to recommended aquacheck 7 and do a test a leslies weekly.
I really can't believe this comment. As I said before:
As an example, FC on the strip will provide one of the following results 0, 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10. FC results form the FAS/DPD test in both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 can be any number in 0.2 increments from 0 all the way to 50. For CYA, the strip gives such wide ranges as to provide useless information; 0, 30-50, 100, 150, 300.
If I wan tmy CYA to be 30, a scale that say s30 - 50 just won't cut it.

I've quoted this many times, but here goes:To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

It is your pool. You are more than welcome to test and treat it any way you want. But, as i told you in the PM, You may or may not agree with what we teach, nor choose to advocate these methods, that is your choice.

The errors I have seen LPS employees make with basic wet testing would have them fired from any credible testing Lab should they not correct them. Cross contamination, poor reagent application, sample size errors, endpoint mistakes, and not even knowing what a meniscus is. Some or all of these things I have seen first hand almost without exception any time I've taken in a sample to any location. I can remember one visit where I wasn't appalled with the procedures. One.

These are glaring errors to the trained eye, and absolutely unacceptable for even a modicum of accurate testing. Certainly none of them would ever be tolerated in any other water treatment field.

Take the same water to 3 different stores, compare results, end of story.

Buy a new box of test strips, compare results to the ones you have now, end of story.

Take strips, leave in water a extra 10 seconds, compare to just a in and out dip, end of story.

Consistently is key

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to throw my .02 cents in here as I am a noob as clearly noted by my info tag. June of 2017.

I think the debate needs clarification.

Are we debating that one can achieve clear water with Aquacheck guess strips or are we debating that one can achieve CLEARER & SAFER water with TFP methods and an approved Test Kit.

I have owned and managed my pool for the last 13 years. Every year prior to 2017 I used the Aquacheck 7 test strips.

My avatar is a picture from August 1, 2015 (I was still in guess strip use), I took that picture because that was the best the pool had looked that season up that point. We typically open in Mid May... so it took me ~2.5 months to get it to that point.

I live in Southern Indiana, we have a 3 - 3.5 month swim window (we do not have a heater [yet], so I spent 71% of my swim time to get my pool to my end goal.

This year, I have done the same in 3 weeks or approximately 20% of my swim time, (and could have done it faster had I recognized my filter issue a week sooner), but I will accept the full 21 days.. I will "give" that time away and I still accomplished my goal in 1/3 of my personal average experience & time.

Now, I will not argue that accomplishing a clear pool with strips is not possible. It is, I did it for 12 years. I will absolutely argue that the money I spent this year and the time it took me to accomplish this points to me that the methods work. Not only do they work but they work better and faster than any strip test method I have used in 12 years with the same pool.

Probably what tipped me over the point to TFP was I asked myself ... IF my Local Board of Health uses a Test Kit and NOT strips to check water at my YMCA & if I really care about the health of my family then why in the world would I do anything LESS? For me, I decided that I wouldn't, I won't and thanks to TFP I don't have to.

A few things to think about in the strips vs test kit debate,

Do strips work? Define work. They change color, yes.

Are strips reliable? Define reliable. They give you a range but that range changes with exposure (sometimes) quickly.

What does your Board of Health use?

Do you have access to acquire this same test kit the BoH uses and easily learn the methods? Yes

One Final question.

If your family got sick at a water park and you found out that they did not use "THE" Standard Testing Method, would you expect a Criminal Case (I expect the Board of Health would be interested)? Do you think you would have a Civil Case?

These are the questions I asked myself.

I did not ask can it be done. More importantly to me, what are the safest and healthiest methods available to me.

Summary,

I had no idea that Liquid Chlorine is the same active ingredient as Regular Bleach and that only the % strengths were different. I did not "know" that until I read the MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) of the products. I did not realize that TA up was sodium Bi-Carbonate until I read the MSDS. This is no different than me not knowing what my YMCA uses to test their water to pass inspection.

As noted earlier, it's your pool, you should do what you think is best, but there IS a definitive answer from a Legally Authorized Department that can and will shut down a pool based on the results of THEIR testing methods. Their Test results are not based on strips (in my County). These are the only facts that I needed to know.

My pool June 2 2017
6_2_2017 water condition after CYA.jpg

June 23
6_23_2017 pool.jpg

Some work to clean up the organic stains is all that is left.

Not strips
No Algaecide
No Floc
No Clarifier
No "bag shock"

TFP SLAM methodology and my Taylor k2006 test kit.

Hope this helps others,

Packrat:

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. I would have considered myself an Ace in pool maintenance because i was using the strips. I could maintain my AGP clear almost all year round with the exceptions of a few drains refills, scale vacuuming and algae attacks. I even had a SWG that had to acid wash every month just to keep it clean. On average i could swim 90% of the time. This is a good proof that the strips work. Now that I know why i had to drain/refill, scales, acid wash my SWG and use algaecide, i turn my head more to economics of pool maintenance. Just because I did not track how much it cost me to use test strips, I do know now, that my pool is not a money burden. Which to any person that spends more money than time enjoying anything, it becomes a hassle, which then you start to hate. TFP method thought me why i was doing what i was doing, just more precisely and without spending a ton of money.

We are not saying you are wrong by using your test strips, we are just saying that you are on a 6 lane highway without the dotted lines at night and your lights can only shine so far and there is a curve up ahead!

Felipe

Hi all. I haven't been on this forum in years so I missed this thread when it was going. I have learned a lot from tfp.com especially the relationship of stabilizer to chlorine and the pros and cons of the different kinds of chlorines. I use mostly liquid chlorine except during the summer I use pucks always watching that cya does not get high. Anyway, I'm going to agree with the original poster here. I love Aquacheck 7 strips and use them almost daily. I used to use the more expensive test kits and found Aquacheck 7 to be right on the money whenever I compared the results side by side. Of course know the limitations - you probably can't use AC7 for free chlorine that is higher than 10 for example and expect to know where its at but I haven't needed to do this in many years. Also, let's be clear because this thread has taken some tangents - it started taking about Aquacheck 7 and that is all I am talking about. I know there are test strips that suck and I'm not vouching for Leslies either. There are some examples posted above like "CYA doesn't jump from zero to 70 overnight ... If half the pad shows zero TA and half shows 300, which is it?". Were those examples with AC7 or some other kind of test strip? Because nothing like this has ever happened to me in 3 years using AC7 almost daily but if it did, I suppose I would just assume there was 1 defective strip and try another stick out of the 100 in the container. But it hasn't happened yet.

I use Aquachek digital test strip reader regularly so I don't have to compare colors. I get Cl, pH and Alk in one strip. It is accurate and repeatable once I learn how to use it. Every few months I use my Taylor kit to do a long test checking CYA and others readings that don't change much. Pool never have any problem for years. There are other more expensive digital strip readers in the market too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.