Has anyone noticed FC test accuracy issues using TF Test Kits brand R-0870 DPD Powder 10gr, or any of TF brand reagents?

Davekro

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2024
Discovery Bay, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have no reason to assume the TF powder does not test exactly the same as the white Taylor powder, but I thought I would ask raise the question due to the different look and texture of the TF brand 870 DPD powder. And also to ask if the experts here use TF brand reagents with full confidence (assuming they are stored in a cool, dry place and not outdated). 3/28/24 I purchased a full Refill Kit of reagents from TF Test Kits for the K-2106 Taylor test kit. On 4/16/24, when I first opened the TF Test Kits R-0870 DPD powder, it was not all white and relatively consistent in granule size as the original Taylor powder. The TF Test Kit R-0870 powder had black crystals as well as white that were much larger than the biggest (still small, but not powder size) ones in the Taylor kit's 870 powder. Thinking those larger chunks would take longer to dissolve, and the black ones might? be a different composition than their white counterparts, I sifted the powder though a tea strainer screen. The chunks had to be pressed pretty hard to get the crystals to break apart to fit through the screen. Halfway through the process, the now crushed, much smaller pieces that still did not fit through the screen, I just called good enough, and dumped back into the original 10 gr. container. I hope this did not negatively affect the product (I doubt it).

OCD Reagent storage question: :)
Is storing reagents that are in current use (not extra overstock) in the house with a room's ambient light and temperature (64º-78ºF), never in direct sun by a window, and in the blue Taylor Kit box any worse than say inside a cabinet (same ambient room temp, but in the dark)? I doubt it would be measurable, but I'll ask the experts here anyway.

For storing most of the reagents in my TF Refill kit that will not be needed for 6–12 months, what is the best way to store them. Normally it's said to be a cool, dark, dry place. Currently, I am storing my extra overstock liquid reagents in my refrigerator, in a sealed ziplock bag in a 38ºF vegetable drawer. Is that ok and could it marginally increase the self life over being stored in a cabinet (dark) at room temp. (64º-78ºF)?

. On 4/16/24, when I first opened the TF Test Kits R-0870 DPD powder, it was not all white and relatively consistent in granule size as the original Taylor powder
Nate's been including silica packs in the powder for at least a year because last season's refill came with it.

It is Taylor powder and will get darker and crystallized when exposed to moisture/humidity.

It's still fine. Crush it up and it's good to go.

My supplies and extras are on the top shelf of my coat closet.

Reactions: Davekro
Storage - cool dry dark place and, if you want, store it with a desiccator pack. The dryer the better.

The clumpiness and color don’t really matter. The R-0870 is a mixture of several different chemical powders that are crushed up and homogenized/mixed at the factory (it’s all Taylor reagents). Powder mixtures will have a tendency to clump up with time. The darker colors come from the DPD part of the chemical mixture and is not an issue.

Reactions: Davekro
The TFTestkits reagents are actually Taylor reagents. TFT just buys them in larger containers than we home users would. The reagents are then put in smaller containers and labeled as to what they are. This way, TFT can cater to the sizes we need and also help keep the cost down to the end consumer.

Reactions: Newdude and Davekro
Storage - cool dry dark place and, if you want, store it with a desiccator pack. The dryer the better.

The clumpiness and color don’t really matter. The R-0870 is a mixture of several different chemical powders that are crushed up and homogenized/mixed at the factory (it’s all Taylor reagents). Powder mixtures will have a tendency to clump up with time. The darker colors come from the DPD part of the chemical mixture and is not an issue.
Is storing just the 'extra' liquid reagents in the frig, in a ziplock bag in the back of a vegetable at a constant 38ºF a positive, negative, or no better than in a dark, room temp cabinet (≈64º - 78º max over day/night throughout the year).

I would not store any chemicals in the fridge. Not only is it not safe but the chemicals are not meant to be kept at such cold temperatures. Just keep them in a cool, room temp part of the house in a closed cabinet. Humidity and heat are what you should avoid.

Reactions: proavia
My K2006c came with 2 bottles of R0870 and obviously I can only use one at a time so I vacuum sealed one with a desiccator pack, put it in my extras box which lives in a laundry cupboard.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise