Aqua Rite Not Quite Right

I was able to get some test strips at Walmart that show free chlorine, so here is what they told me:

Low Hardness
High Total Chlorine
Very High Free Chlorine. Had added a 1.5 gallons 3 hours earlier.
pH 7.8, down from 8.2 three hours earlier at which time I added 28 ounces of 13% muriatic acid. Going to retest tomorrow if able.
Alkalinity OK
Stabilizer 100-OK. I will have more reagent by Tuesday afternoon and get a better reading.

The pool is looking clear, but there is a green tint still. The pool tech advised this could happen as a result of the sand filter changeout due to their use of Ruby Red filter media. I need to get another test strip in tomorrow before adjusting anything to see where everything shakes out and see my overnight loss of chlorine.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 4
We do not advise on water chemistry based on test strip tests. They are too inaccurate.

Get the Taylor K2006c or TFT Test Kits if you want to follow TFP methods and advice.

Test Kits Compared
I have a TF-100 on the way, but I wanted to get a ballpark as soon as possible and this was my solution.

Note that pH tests are inaccurate and will read high when FC is over 10ppm.

You may have a false high pH reading and are lowering your pH to levels that can damage your pool and equipment.

I have a TF-100 on the way, but I wanted to get a ballpark as soon as possible and this was my solution.
You should do nothing except add liquid chlorine to your pool daily until you get your test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should do nothing except add liquid chlorine to your pool daily until you get your test kit.
Will do.

pH readings being inaccurate due to high FC, would that also be the case if you were using an electronic pH meter? I have access to Hanna and Apera units that I could use.

Will do.

pH readings being inaccurate due to high FC, would that also be the case if you were using an electronic pH meter? I have access to Hanna and Apera units that I could use.
PH readings are inaccurate when using drop color matching test.

pH meters must be calibrated with pH 7 & 10 calibrating solutions to be accurate.

Sadly you wasted $$ on the strips- would have been better to spend that on more liquid chlorine. They didn’t actually tell you anything. Their Broad Ranges & high & low mean zilch really. Strips are also easily “bleached out” & skewed by higher fc levels. Even at their best they are very inconsistent & too broad.
Just Add the 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day until your stuff comes.
A properly calibrated meter should be unaffected by the higher fc level.
If you wanna do more - hop in & brush,brush, brush! Go on a hunt for hidden algae. Drains, light niches, that coping around the stairs, overflow drain, auto fill etc. Every thing is suspect.
The filter media shouldn’t have any effect on the color of your water. Btw- Ruby sand is no better than regular pool filter sand - it’s just more expensive. It’s a zeolite type media & needs to be backwashed & rinsed extremely well when first put in or it can cloud the water. That doesn’t seem to be your issue. It’s looking very clear yet green.

Reactions: 228newbie
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.