Avon Park, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
After testing my salt level with the K-1766 test kit this morning, and getting a reading of 3000 ppm, I attempted to reset the average salt level. It starts out high and drops down to 3800 ppm. That is the lowest it will go. Will that cause any problems if it doesn't match up closely with the actual reading I got from the salt test, and also what is the purpose of the average salt level reading?

The average salt display is meaningless to the operation of the unit. It is simply there for information. The only thing that maters is that the unit is operational and producing chlorine. Absolute salt levels are not that important.

The average salt display is meaningless to the operation of the unit. It is simply there for information. The only thing that maters is that the unit is operational and producing chlorine. Absolute salt levels are not that important.

I thought the Average salt level determined whether or not it would alarm for low or high salt? No? Or is it only Instant salt level that is used to trigger alarms? 🤔

The unit does not alarm based upon salt level, only based upon amps. For the T-15, the maximum current is 8 amps. However, when this alarm is triggered, depending on the controller, it will sometimes say high Salt/Amps. But it is really the amps that triggers the alarm.

The unit does not alarm based upon salt level, only based upon amps. For the T-15, the maximum current is 8 amps. However, when this alarm is triggered, depending on the controller, it will sometimes say high Salt/Amps. But it is really the amps that triggers the alarm.

Maybe I’m using the term “alarm” incorrectly. ☺️ The SWCG will tell you (flashing or steady “low salt” light indicator/ ie “alarm”) if salt is too low. Is it also the amp reading that triggers this? If so, would it be from the “instant” reading rather than the “average”?

For low salt, I am less certain on. I have had instant salt levels at 2500 ppm without any alarm. Although I think that may be amps as well as that is directly related to the chlorine production.

Reactions: Saturn94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.