Anyone in the Round Rock, Texas area with Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen

Nov 8, 2019
Austin, Texas
Our pool build is underway, and now I get to choose all the finishes. We love darker pools, and from looking at pictures online, we like Ocean Blue. With it being such a huge decision, we'd love to see the color in person. Anyone live in Central Texas, and wouldn't mind us taking a look at your Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen?

Thanks! --Trisha

Welcome to the forum!

Dark plaster in pools means very warm water in summer. Be aware of that!!

Take care.

Shade will help -- but trees are a real pain around pools. Be sure you are going to want to keep them. Or plan to install an autocover. That will reduce tree debris.

Depth helps some but not much in warm, high UV areas. We have friends in Granbury TX with a dark pool. It is 90++F in the summer.

I want to also let you know that a darker plaster is harder to "finish" right. It really depends on the crews skills and care. .The most common problem is mollting. Do a search ( use the G button for the best search) to see some of the different problems.

I also have a link to help you get the best plaster job possible: Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

I hope this is helpful!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Locotl
Hello! We are in Round Rock and are mid build right now. We ended up going with pebble sheen blue surf. I initially wanted turtle bay, but my husband didn’t like that dark of a color. I also like ocean blue. We are about to start tile/coping, so still a ways away from pebble. Curious what you ended up doing and if you are happy with it?

Hi kwest! We had some weather delays, so they haven't done the Pebble Sheen yet. I'm still planning on Ocean Blue. Blue Surf is what we were initially looking at, but wanted it a little darker. One of the hardest choices so far has been the tile. So many sleepless nights looking at tile pictures on the internet. I even called Pebble Tech to see if they had a list of tiles they recommend with Ocean Blue. They won't give their opinion, for fear that you will hold them responsible if you don't like it. I understand that. After talking about my frustrations with the builder, he recommended a particular tile store. Seriously within 2 minutes of walking in and telling them my pool design and pebble tech color, she pulled 2 tiles for me to choose from. I love the one we chose, and am just crossing my fingers that it will match the Ocean Blue as perfectly as they say it will.

Attachments

• IMG_8629.JPG
    IMG_8629.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8641.JPG
    837 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_9571.JPG
    IMG_9571.JPG
    696.3 KB · Views: 251
That is my favorite 6x6 tile! Just know there are some major color differences in each tile. I would dig through the box to find the extra pretty ones to be put in the "eye line" places like the rear wall of the pool so that when someone walks out that is the first ones they see. You should also take out the *ugly* ones and hide them LOL We had one build where they put all of the lighter ones together and all of the darker one together :shock: it looked awful! The PB took one look at it and said NOPE! The next set of tile the PB came out and laid the tiles out so they were mixed in tone/color. It looked so much better!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Campbell Farms - your pool is beautiful! Love the rock work! We too have been delayed with all the rain lately. We are wrapping up coping now, so are still a ways out from pebble. I love your tile as well. I’m 100% second guessing mine...I made the mistake of trying to match the stone around it and it now looks like I tried too hard to match. Oh well...I think once the pebble is in, it will change the appearance a lot. Fingers crossed. We are planned for blue surf, but I’m really second guessing that for a blue surf or turtle bay.
Once you get your pebble sheen, please post pics!

Kwest, We are on schedule for Pebble Sheen to be done by March 18th, but don't know the exact date yet. I'll for sure post pictures and let you know what I think. I was reading your other post. We too have to have our tanning ledge cut down a few inches. They made it 6" deep instead of 9". At first you probably think "not that big of a deal", but we have a ramp that goes from the tanning ledge down into the shallow end, for our special needs daughter. Adding 3" to the tanning ledge made the beginning of the ramp way to steep. Today they worked on rebar for the decking and some retaining walls. The topography of our property has the pool level with the patio on one side, and sticking out of the ground almost 6 feet on the backside. They are putting in a few retaining walls and planter boxes, giving it a tapered look. I'm loving it!

@Campbell Farms - thanks for the info! We are using Cody. How about y’all? I appreciate the feedback on the tile/stone. It’s starting to grow on me, but I know the look will change so much once we get the pebble sheen in.
I’m so sorry y’all went through the tanning ledge issue too...it’s so frustrating to spend the time to have these specific plans and then have them disregarded. Especially in your case, this was extremely important! And to hear, “it’s just a few inches” made me fume.
We too have the back side of the pool above ground, about 30 inches or so...and now have this mystery leak we are trying to figure out.
Right now we are struggling to get the concrete company out for all the decking. After that, we have a lot of mason work- planters, benches and a fireplace to be done. After all that is all done they will do the pebble. I’m just sooo ready to get of the mud pit my backyard has been since they started after Christmas!

Pool is finished! We used Ocean Blue and absolutely love it. We didn't add anything to it. In the middle of the day, when sun is shining directly on it (first picture), it's lighter than I was expecting. However, the different shades of blue throughout the day and evening are stunning. Today is cloudy, so it's a darker color pool right now (rest of the pictures),... just how I like it. I was told that it's harder to see in a dark colored pool. That hasn't been an issue for us. One of the pictures attached is looking through 8.5 feet of water, and you can see the grey drains and black vacuum just fine. Another picture shows a seating ledge in the deep end, so you can see the color of the Pebble Sheen on the ledge, versus 8.5' of water. Pool was filled with water 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    679.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    900.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    847.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    734.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2411.JPG
    IMG_2411.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_2412.JPG
    IMG_2412.JPG
    740 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 398
Looks fantastic! Not being able to see the bottom in a dark pool is a myth. The water is clear regardless of the shell color. However, in poor light, it is probably somewhat darker overall so harder to see.

Hello! We are in Round Rock and are mid build right now. We ended up going with pebble sheen blue surf. I initially wanted turtle bay, but my husband didn’t like that dark of a color. I also like ocean blue. We are about to start tile/coping, so still a ways away from pebble. Curious what you ended up doing and if you are happy with it?
Hi! I am in Austin and came across your post. Did you end up liking the blue surf? Do the pebbles hurt your feet at all?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.