Anyone have any ideas on opening this thing before I smash the lid off ?

The pump basket lid got stuck on ours and has a groove similar to your sand tank lid. I used a scrap piece of rebar, it's probably 3/4" and used it as leverage to twist the top off. Worked so well that little foot-long rebar now lives next to the pump.B241D69D-89CA-4358-9879-BD06D5FBD568.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Casey
And chance it may unscrew opposite from normal. Normally counter clockwise loosens. Maybe this lid is clockwise loosens.

Try Goggling
  • lacron sand filter manual
  • lacron sand filter spares
And contact a few of the resulting contacts to ask how to remove the lid. It appears there is a new lid design and a special tool as a replacement.

Reactions: DeanaR
I have had luck with brake cleaner or starting fluid, but it will melt your gasket. Spray it around the edge like WD40 on a bolt and wait a day or three. Clean up thoroughly with dry paper towels.
But try the ice first.
True, sand does not wear out. It does accumulate oils and residue on its surfaces that will not rinse away with water alone, leading to clumping, channeling, and clogging. When allowed to dry it can stick so tight it is nearly solid, and the pump will blow channels through it leaving you with flow but virtually no filtration. I see this most on hotel, apartment, and HOA pools; lots of suntan lotion, make-up, heavy bather loads, etc. and generally bad maintenance being performed by a guy who's primary job is mowing grass. But I have ran into it in private pools many times as well.

Reactions: kimkats and DeanaR
Yeah I have already backwashed it a few times but i Thought the sand may have needed changing with it being sat for so long? Like I said I’m new to pool life ha.
thank you so much for your input.
I know sand doesn’t wear out, I was more concerned about it being clumped together with the stuff I have filtered through it when we were first trying the equipment out. I’ll definitely be backwashing until I get into it.

And chance it may unscrew opposite from normal. Normally counter clockwise loosens. Maybe this lid is clockwise loosens.

Try Goggling
  • lacron sand filter manual
  • lacron sand filter spares
And contact a few of the resulting contacts to ask how to remove the lid. It appears there is a new lid design and a special tool as a replacement.
Thanks for the info I will have a look into this.

I have had luck with brake cleaner or starting fluid, but it will melt your gasket. Spray it around the edge like WD40 on a bolt and wait a day or three. Clean up thoroughly with dry paper towels.
But try the ice first.
True, sand does not wear out. It does accumulate oils and residue on its surfaces that will not rinse away with water alone, leading to clumping, channeling, and clogging. When allowed to dry it can stick so tight it is nearly solid, and the pump will blow channels through it leaving you with flow but virtually no filtration. I see this most on hotel, apartment, and HOA pools; lots of suntan lotion, make-up, heavy bather loads, etc. and generally bad maintenance being performed by a guy who's primary job is mowing grass. But I have ran into it in private pools many times as well.
Thank you, I was aware that sand doesn’t wear out this was exactly what I was concerned about. I’m no expert but a filter been sat for seven years full of nasties that it previously filtered out plus the junk I filtered out when I first checked the equipment was working can’t be good For it. I have back washed multiple times already but will continue to do so once I use it properly. Thanks for the input ?

If you get the lid off, have a brand new O-ring on hand. It is probably dry rotted and seen its life about as much as a cat.

Reactions: zea3
Some ideas to remove the cap.

1) wedge a short bar into the slot. Use a deadblow to slowly hammer the cap off.
2) Same as above but use an air hammer
3) Blunt chisel or punch and mallet. Place at one edge near thread and hammer around slowly <-- not recommended as the plastic is old and will likely shatter.

You may need to use a penetrating oil but they could react with the plastics. Maybe a silicone grease with some heat will work into the joint. Any of these ideas could break the plastic as it's old and long exposed to the sun.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.