Anyone have any ideas on opening this thing before I smash the lid off ?

DeanaR

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
Hey guys and girls,
does anyone have any ideas how to get into my sand filter? I have so far tried tapping the seal, pouring hot water onto it, and using a crow bar as leverage (in the gap used to push not to pry it open) I am stumped! Can I get a tool for this Particular kind? I’ve seen some online but am unsure if they’re the right fit.
once again, thank you for any help it’s much appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 73
I would not use a heat gun. If hot water wasn't enough to loosen it then a heat gun may warp the lid and ruin it. What brand of filter is it? You may be able to persuade it to open if you fit a piece of solid lumber in the slot and tap the wood to try and unscrew it. Why do you need to open the filter? Maybe we can figure out something else if we know what the problem is.

Reactions: DeanaR
LOL, odd question if you were American but makes perfect sense being from the UK. A 2x4 is a common piece of dimensional wood here in the US. Approximately 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches.
Ahh thank you! I have seen it on a few posts and wondered haha. I shall have a look at what I have laying around, thanks.

I would not use a heat gun. If hot water wasn't enough to loosen it then a heat gun may warp the lid and ruin it. What brand of filter is it? You may be able to persuade it to open if you fit a piece of solid lumber in the slot and tap the wood to try and unscrew it. Why do you need to open the filter? Maybe we can figure out something else if we know what the problem is.
Hi, the brand of filter is lacron. I am trying to get into it to deep clean the sand/ check the amount of sand inside Or replace. I just moved in here in December and the previous owners hadn’t used the pool in the 7 years they lived here so I have no idea what inside looks like. I have Vacuumed the debris in the bottom of the pool to waste to bypass and hopefully save the filter some stress but it could be a mess in there for all I know and I don’t want to slam the pool to push a load of Crud back in from the filter once I turn it back on. im A very new pool owner so am trying to get to grips with everything by learning from you guys and youtube. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you for the reply.

If you can't get the lid off a super long backwash and rinse may be needed. Since it has been on there so long I think a block of wood and a mallet are your best bet at getting that lid to turn. Once you get it off put some silicone pool lube on the rubber o-ring and it will be much easier to remove in the future.

it could be a mess in there for all I know and I don’t want to slam the pool to push a load of Crud back in from the filter once I turn it back on

Definitely run the water through the filter while you SLAM. Not only will the filter help the slam to clear the pool of dead algae and such, but the heavily chlorinated water will help oxidize any junk that may be in the filter as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely run the water through the filter while you SLAM. Not only will the filter help the slam to clear the pool of dead algae and such, but the heavily chlorinated water will help oxidize any junk that may be in the filter as well.
True, and you want to do a backwash and rinse before selecting the filter setting whether you get the top open or not.

True, and you want to do a backwash and rinse before selecting the filter setting whether you get the top open or not.
Yeah I have already backwashed it a few times but i Thought the sand may have needed changing with it being sat for so long? Like I said I’m new to pool life ha.
thank you so much for your input.

Hey guys and girls,
...I have so far tried tapping the seal, pouring hot water onto it, and using a crow bar as leverage ...
I would not use a heat gun. If hot water wasn't enough to loosen it then a heat gun may warp the lid and ruin it. ...

Instead of hot water.. use cold water/ice on the lid. You want to contract the lid relative to the filter enclosure. Using heat will cause the lid to expand. I would try putting some ice, water and salt in a plastic bag (zip lock, do they have those in GB) and set it on the lid for awhile.

Reactions: DeanaR and RDspaguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.