Any thoughts on Esther Williams Pools?

MNPoolDreamer

Well-known member
May 13, 2009
198
Mn
DH and I are about to take the first steps into pool ownership. We have 1 major hurdle to overcome (Home owners Association), but otherwise we are ready to go. We have 2 young children. We don't really need a big pool, but DH thinks 15 x 30 is perfect for us. Of course I want a 18 x 33, but realize that is 5000 more gallons to heat and maintain. He is probably right.

We put a temporary hold on an Esther Williams Festival 15 x 30 pool - All Aluminum (the price is a little high for me). We looked at the Sharkline Oceanic 54 - Steel but 18 X 33 was more pool than DH wants. We could go to Family Lesiure (Formerly Watson's) and get a Quest (by wilbar) but DH didn't get a good vibe when we were there.

So My questions are: Is Esther Williams a quality pool? One dealer tells us aluminum is junk, the other says steel is junk and too expensive. I don't like the idea of a Stainless steel panel to look at so that is why we are not as into the Quest - or is it really a good idea?

Our requirements are that it be Buttress free and oval. Any suggestions would be great. We don't want to install ourselves and we like the peace of mind that a "Pool store" offers - The oceanic would not have any service available for repairs. Does the 52" vs. 54" side make a difference?

We are in MN so extreme temps are a factor.

I'm so nervous to commit because I don't want to buy something that will fall apart in 10 years.
 

cubbybeave08

Well-known member
Feb 2, 2008
902
Northwest Indiana
MNPoolDreamer said:
DH and I are about to take the first steps into pool ownership. We have 1 major hurdle to overcome (Home owners Association), but otherwise we are ready to go. We have 2 young children. We don't really need a big pool, but DH thinks 15 x 30 is perfect for us. Of course I want a 18 x 33, but realize that is 5000 more gallons to heat and maintain. He is probably right.

We put a temporary hold on an Esther Williams Festival 15 x 30 pool - All Aluminum (the price is a little high for me). We looked at the Sharkline Oceanic 54 - Steel but 18 X 33 was more pool than DH wants. We could go to Family Lesiure (Formerly Watson's) and get a Quest (by wilbar) but DH didn't get a good vibe when we were there.

So My questions are: Is Esther Williams a quality pool? One dealer tells us aluminum is junk, the other says steel is junk and too expensive. I don't like the idea of a Stainless steel panel to look at so that is why we are not as into the Quest - or is it really a good idea?


Our requirements are that it be Buttress free and oval. Any suggestions would be great. We don't want to install ourselves and we like the peace of mind that a "Pool store" offers - The oceanic would not have any service available for repairs. Does the 52" vs. 54" side make a difference?

We are in MN so extreme temps are a factor.

I'm so nervous to commit because I don't want to buy something that will fall apart in 10 years.
What is the asking price on this pool. You said it is all aluminum right...I have an aqualeader that is all resin top and bottom and uprights. The side is of course metal, but everything else is resin. I like it...three seasons and no discoloration no rust, no scratches.

in essence the aqua leader I have is the same as the quest...the stainles panel is on the back of the pool so I don't see it and it is stonger than the regular side which is a good thing when it comes to cutting in a wide mouth skimmer and return...it makes the structure much more sound. Like I said it is on the back side so I don't see it. My pool aqua leader (wilbar) are basically the same...My neighbor is looking into pools and I recommended the Auqua Leader Resin pool myself...She is impressed with the fact that it has worn well over three years...
 

MNPoolDreamer

Well-known member
May 13, 2009
198
Mn
I wasn't sure if I could post the price but they are asking almost 9000.00, including installation up to 6" out of level.
 

cubbybeave08

Well-known member
Feb 2, 2008
902
Northwest Indiana
MNPoolDreamer said:
I wasn't sure if I could post the price but they are asking almost 9000.00, including installation up to 6" out of level.
Seems awefully expensive...My pool in NW Indiana three years ago was Just over 3100 with installation with 3" excavation. I paid for sand and pavers. My pool is a 24 ft round aqua leader that is all resin with the metal walls. I don't know how much variance there is in price between a round and oval pool. But if it is that high of quality it may be worth the price. We have had two pretty harsh winters the last two froze my pool top to bottom...and there was no structural damage to speak of.

Does this price include everything you need pump, filter, heater and accessories?
 

MNPoolDreamer

Well-known member
May 13, 2009
198
Mn
The pump, filter and install up to 6" out of level (we may be more than that) solar cover and starter chemicals are included. I know that the "buttress free" adds significant cost. One with butresses is only 3700.

I have a feeling our HOA is going to decline our request for a pool so this may all be wasted breath. They have a "new" policy that states we can have seasonal pools but not permanent structures. Funny, we never voted on the change and no offense, but I think if they want things to "blend into natural surroundings" a blue intex pool is not really accomplishing that.

Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed that we can move forward with this!
 

cubbybeave08

Well-known member
Feb 2, 2008
902
Northwest Indiana
MNPoolDreamer said:
The pump, filter and install up to 6" out of level (we may be more than that) solar cover and starter chemicals are included. I know that the "buttress free" adds significant cost. One with butresses is only 3700.

I have a feeling our HOA is going to decline our request for a pool so this may all be wasted breath. They have a "new" policy that states we can have seasonal pools but not permanent structures. Funny, we never voted on the change and no offense, but I think if they want things to "blend into natural surroundings" a blue intex pool is not really accomplishing that.

Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed that we can move forward with this!
yeah...my back yard looks so much better with a nice beige agp with nice landscape rock around it as opposed to the blue intex inflatable ring pool that was usually more green than it was clear, and the eyesore of ground tarp under it in the summer and the big dirt hole in the yard when we put it away...Your HOA is crazy if the think the pool is an eyesore...try having that big dirt spot in the yard for the other 9 months out of the year.
 

MikeInNH

Well-known member
Sep 26, 2007
476
Southern NH
We have an aluminum Johnny Weissmuller pool that is 18x33, I'm pretty sure it's close to the same as an Esther Williams. We got it used, I think it's over 20 years old and has lots of life left. Very strong construction, I can walk all around the top of it with no movement. I love the size of it. Good luck with the HOA, I dislike those things. Kinda like what unions have come to. :grrrr:
 

Pool-creetin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
181
Michigan
You wont regret buying an esther williams pool. All aluminum will last longer. IMO Just took down a 30 year old all aluminum pool. In michigan the resin pools have more problems with expansion and contraction.
BTW I just put up a 24 ft round esther williams festival this spring and its really nice.
 

mcoonan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2008
292
Mendota Heights, MN
MNPoolDreamer said:
The pump, filter and install up to 6" out of level (we may be more than that) solar cover and starter chemicals are included. I know that the "buttress free" adds significant cost. One with butresses is only 3700.

I have a feeling our HOA is going to decline our request for a pool so this may all be wasted breath. They have a "new" policy that states we can have seasonal pools but not permanent structures. Funny, we never voted on the change and no offense, but I think if they want things to "blend into natural surroundings" a blue intex pool is not really accomplishing that.

Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed that we can move forward with this!
MN,
Check to find out when they (the HOA board) changed/added the policy, and if there was a general vote of the whole HOA or just the board. You may have to get copies of all board meeting notes. If it was just the board, you can check your bylaws to find out if they really have the power to institute new policies and change current ones. We went through this with my parents HOA, they put a new policy in place w/o a vote. The new policy would have cost my parents (living on a fixed income unlike 95% of the board) and additional 250.00 a month in fees. Ended up the board could not put a new policy in place w/o a vote, and the policy was removed after some very heated discussion and getting an attorney involved. Next annual meeting 80% of the board was voted off!
 

MNPoolDreamer

Well-known member
May 13, 2009
198
Mn
Thanks for the advice. I was "invited" to the board meeting next Monday so we'll see what they have to say about changing the rules. Unfortunately, they make their decision behind closed doors and mail me a response. I feel like giving up because if they do approve it now, we are so late in the season we won't get swim this year...but I suppose the best part is we'd be ready to go in the spring.

DH and I have certainly considered getting a lawyer about this. Seems like a crime that we have to pay a lawyer for some people who take a little bit of power to the extreme.

Wish me luck on Monday!
 

MikeInNH

Well-known member
Sep 26, 2007
476
Southern NH
Keep going, you'll be happy if all is ready in the spring. I installed my pool in late August, we didn't get much swim time but happy it was done come spring. Good luck!
 

Other Threads of Interest