any other reasons for CYA to be zero?

Jun 30, 2016
Savannah
Good morning! Let me start by saying, I do not have a good test kit. I have taken over the pool care from my husband this year so I am just getting started. We only have the dreaded test strips. I am taking up a sample to my pool store today to get an idea so I can get started but here is my issue I am trying to figure out and get some advice to compare with theirs before I do that..

We live in TX so our pool is open all year but my husband was not really paying a lot of attention to it over the winter since we weren't using it. At some point our CYA must have dropped to nothing or so the test strip says. Just like every year, we added a new bag of CYA to the skimmers which I now know is not the best idea. But I gave it over a week to dissolve. CYA reading on test strips still said 0 over a week later. Two days ago we also took our filters out and cleaned them. They really needed it, we didn't see any undissolved cya. I tested the theory that we might have ammonia or something else by adding a 10% liquid chlorine gallon to which our 13000 gallon pool ate the chlorine within minutes (or so the dip strip said). I followed the instructions here and added more liquid chlorine until I could get it to hold for several hours. It took 3 gallons. After I could get a FC reading on the dip strip that said around 3 PPM for most of the day, we added cya in the sock method in front of the return, so far 2 pounds has fully dissolved into our 13000 gallon pool since yesterday morning. I know according to the math, I will probably need 3 pounds or just over but I still can not get a cya reading. It's 0 on the test strip. Even if I test the water right next to the sock. Shouldn't it be registering some amount of CYA at this point? Obviously the dip strip method is not preferable, but they seem to be somewhat accurately reading the chlorine so I don't think they are bad or expired or anything..? I just want to feel like I have some idea of what could be going on before going to the pool store and being sold a bunch of things I don't need. Oh and FWIW, the pool looks clear and all other readings are in the normal range. Any insight would be helpful!

You are chasing your tail with the test strips and pool store testing. Without a decent test kit you don't know the effects of what you are adding, and could do more harm than good.

Get a test kit. Today! Link-->Test Kits Compared

yep, I get it. Doesn't help me today though! Still would like to know if anyone has any experience with this that can help me today since we are already mid add of a second batch of cya. And it depends on who you ask with the pool store testing, many say that what most stores are using now is very accurate.

yep, I get it. Doesn't help me today though! Still would like to know if anyone has any experience with this that can help me today since we are already mid add of a second batch of cya. And it depends on who you ask with the pool store testing, many say that what most stores are using now is very accurate.
Yep, correct, not having a kit will not help you today. It would be a mistake for us to make recommendations without good test results, as we could hurt your pool or cost you more money. We don't trust test strips nor pool store testing.

I would add 3ppm of liquid chlorine a day until your test kit arrives, then post your results and we'll go from there!

Last edited:
why would I do that if I have no CYA... wouldn't that just be wasting chlorine and costing me money... exactly what you said you are avoiding by not giving me advice?
Adding 3ppm will keep any potential algae at bay until you get your testing kit. Your pool likely uses 3ppm per day, especially if you have no CYA in your pool. You are just replacing what is being used daily. Adding 3ppm will not cause damage and will stop/slow algae growth if you have any.

I'm giving you absolutely the best advice I can give...and is the same advice I would give my mother, brother, or daughter.

PoolStored is correct. The only thing you should add to the water is chlorine until you get a reliable test kit. The strips are really garbage, and the pool store not much better. So many members got here in the same situation. The CYA test is the most often one got wrong by the strips/store. The only bad thing that can happen by adding liquid chlorine is that the water gets cleaner/clearer. Anything else can wait.

If you add CYA and end up having too much, you’ll need to drain the pool to get rid of the excess. That’s way worse than $5 in chlorine.

Test strips are horribly inaccurate with CYA. I used them when we bought our house 3 years ago and it constantly read 0 CYA but in reality, it was over 100 and way too high. The pool store results read over 100 (I forget the number exactly) but they said it was Ok and only a problem once it got to 200 :rolleyes:. And of course, when it got to 200, they said they had chemicals they could sell me to fix it.

If you added that much CYA, I really struggle to believe that have zero unless you have done a significant drain and refill/exchange of your water. Once CYA is in your water, it leaves really only by removal of water.

Please, please get yourself a good test kit and find out exactly how much CYA you have in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test strips are horribly inaccurate with CYA. I used them when we bought our house 3 years ago and it constantly read 0 CYA but in reality, it was over 100 and way too high. The pool store results read over 100 (I forget the number exactly) but they said it was Ok and only a problem once it got to 200 :rolleyes:. And of course, when it got to 200, they said they had chemicals they could sell me to fix it.

If you added that much CYA, I really struggle to believe that have zero unless you have done a significant drain and refill/exchange of your water. Once CYA is in your water, it leaves really only by removal of water.

Please, please get yourself a good test kit and find out exactly how much CYA you have in the water.
THANK YOU!! Exactly the advice I was looking for. I appreciate it. I obviously know I need an accurate testing kit but without it, I am looking for anyone who has had this happen before and what they did. I appreciate you sharing your experience!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.