Any ideas what this pipe might be for?

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
I'm redoing my equipment plumbing and I'm wandering what the stand alone pipe at the left might be for. It's been disconnected - and uncapped -since I got the house.

The equipment piping - coming from the pool also - is 1.5" but the one in question is 1".

Ideas?

Maybe #1: There is a closed port on the middle the my pool that I thought it could be for a suction side cleaner but upon testing that port is dead. Could it be that this pipe is the missing piece to close the loop? If so, is it normal for that pipe to be 1"? Is this a common - maybe outdated - practice in pool building? How I can I test this if the pipe is connected to the port? One idea is to use a drain snake and see if it comes out of the pool port (not sure if it is long enough). Any easier ideas?

Thnx!

IMG_0051.jpg

I would assume that is for an old pressure side cleaner. It would be connected to a separate high pressure booster pump. I suspect the other end in your pool is just an open pipe or a pipe with a quick disconnect type fitting.

I would use a garden hose and drain king and force water into the pipe and see where it comes out. Most likely at that #1 unused port ..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pressure side cleaners use smaller pipes.
Although I would consider just making it into a normal return and getting a robot instead of going back to a pressure cleaner.

Most pressure side cleaners require a booster pump. Your cleaner is a suction side cleaner and will not run off of a 1" pipe.

I am not a fan of water powered cleaners and their 1960's technology... I use today's robots that only require a place to plug them in.. :D

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.