Any idea what this random capped 2" PVC pipe might be for?

heckofagator

Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We had some bushes pulled up today that had died after being underwater during the last tropical storm. There seems to be a 2" capped pipe (far right side of this photo) that goes towards the pool/spa. This is really no where near our pool equipment. Not sure if its pool related or not but the size seems odd to be to not be pool related.

Attachments

• 20231025_165015.jpg
    20231025_165015.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
ah, I see. Yeah, this pipe appears to go straight towards the spa.

guessing no problems to cut off and cap this near the pool deck so its not above around. Assuming that's what this really is, of course.

Last edited:
hey guys, in a bit if a bind here.

I went today to cut off the pipe above ground and was going to cap it off underground. I did drill a small pin hole at the top to make sure this wasn't under pressure. Then I went to cut below ground level and water started coming out. I only got a few strokes in with my hacksaw. I shut off the pool and even the water to the house and water was still coming out. Yikes.

So I think I've managed to tape it up a little but need a more permanent fix. I have never run into this before. Any ideas what I need to do here?

Attachments

• 20231112_174851.jpg
    20231112_174851.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 31
That shows the pipe is connected to the pool water system at some point.

You should have not cut the pipe below the pool water level. An active pipe would have water up to the pool water level and air above that.

If you, or a pool company, have a powerful blower like a Cyclone you can connect it to the pipe and blow air into the pipe and see where bubbles come out from. Then you have an idea where the pipe is connected to.

Or you need to glue a PVC fix where you cut and leave the pipe alone.

While your pump is off pour 5ppm of liquid chlorine into the water and stir it into the pool with your pool brush daily to keep it from going green.

An inside coupling like this may help fix where you cut...

1699842959082.png

This flood plug may help stop the water while you do the repair...

1699843108790.png

Or you may need to lower the water level to stop the flow through the pipe while you do the repair.

Let's see what ideas @1poolman1 has.

Reactions: heckofagator
inside coupling looks like it might work. Any chance this might hold with just friction? As I assume there's no way glue is going to hold with 2" of water rushing out.

thankfully the tape seems to be holding for now.

I'm still a little confused what this pipe is for. Now that we know its connected to the pool water system, does that explain anymore what it might have been for? Is an air inlet still a possibility? If so, I had mistakenly assumed if it was an air intake, there'd be no water in there.

Can I still now cap it off underground? Or is the section of pipe above the pool water level necessary?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The spa return air inlet will be filled with water up to the level of the pool (the water line) unless the pipe is active and the Venturi effect is causing a vacuum in the pipe, forcing air to be sucked in. If it is an air inlet, you need to either lower the level of the spa to below the returns or close your spa returns to ensure no water comes out of that pipe so you can cap it underground below the water line.

that would be great if I can just take water out of the spa. that's much less to deal with than taking it out of the pool. I guess I'm going to try that. thanks

Looking a little closer at the pipe above ground, there's a pretty bit cut in the top, almost like someone started to cut off the cap and then stopped.

1. when I go to cap this connection, is it ok to do it underground? Or so I need to have a section above the water line?

2. Is this cut perhaps adding air into my system? I have been fighting air bubbles in the return every since we got everything re-done last year. This is an older pool and I think its got some issues. We know the main drain leaks. I there there are some other oddities with the plumbing.

Attachments

• 20231113_091337.jpg
    20231113_091337.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 3

Probably a SLVS.

(II) SUCTION-LIMITING VENT SYSTEM - A suction-limiting vent system with a tamper resistant atmospheric opening.

CPSC Staff interpretation: A suction-limiting vent system is also called an atmospheric vent.

It is a pipe teed to the suction side of the circulation system on one end and open to the atmosphere on the opposite end.

The pipe is normally full of water equal to the same height as the pool.

When a blockage occurs at the main drain, air is introduced into the suction line thus causing the pump to lose prime and relieving the suction forces at the main drain (suction outlet).

https://www.poolspanews.com/how-to/codes/on-site-solution_o

1690144601921-png.516402

img_20200415_175901385-jpg.132979

inside coupling looks like it might work. Any chance this might hold with just friction? As I assume there's no way glue is going to hold with 2" of water rushing out.

Nope. Has to be glued to be water tight.

I'm still a little confused what this pipe is for. Now that we know its connected to the pool water system, does that explain anymore what it might have been for? Is an air inlet still a possibility? If so, I had mistakenly assumed if it was an air intake, there'd be no water in there.

Likely SLVS.

Can I still now cap it off underground? Or is the section of pipe above the pool water level necessary?

I would repair the cut you made and leave it as is.

SLVS is a safety system, so I cannot advise you to cap it off.

Maybe consult a local expert to confirm what the pipe goes to.

You can probably stick a garden hose into the pipe and see if water comes out of the skimmers, main drain or into the pump suction.

Do not pressurize the pipe.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
SLVS is a stupid idea, in my opinion.

Those pipes are usually full of nasty stagnant water and the stagnant water allows bacteria, mold, algae, fungus etc. to grow in the pipe.

If you put a garden hose in the line, you will probably get nasty junk coming out into the pool or into the pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB
thanks for everyone's continued help.

I drained the spa today. Took the water down below the first set of returns and the water was still flowing at my cut so I emptied all of the spa water into the pool, below the returns at your feet, and the water appeared to have stopped flowing at my taped repair.

So I took the tape off and its still flowing, although much less now. a few wraps of duct tape seem to be able to contain this flow for the most part. video below (it was shooting out before when the spa was filled)

so I guess this means its also tied into the pool. So....I think I can either finish my cut and try to do the repair as quickly as possible with this flow or do I suck it up and drain the pool below the skimmer/returns, as those are the last possibilities I think (the main drain is blocked).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.