Seminole Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Has anyone had to repair this kind of rust problem before? Going on my third year after a new build. Looks like rusting rebar. Its been slowly getting worse for about 4-5 months. I will more than likely have to handle the repair without the builder for he is under investigation and I was told the actual pool build may be no longer under warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_6334.jpeg
    IMG_6334.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 42
Has anyone had to repair this kind of rust problem before? Going on my third year after a new build. Looks like rusting rebar. Its been slowly getting worse for about 4-5 months. I will more than likely have to handle the repair without the builder for he is under investigation and I was told the actual pool build may be no longer under warranty.
I have repaired this kind of issue before. Wether it is the rebar or the tie wire the only way to repair it is to dig it up and expose it, then cut out the rusting parts. The one saving grace is that its behind the tile so that the effects of the repair won't look bad. Is there any legal action you can take?

Reactions: Skiddy
I have repaired this kind of issue before. Wether it is the rebar or the tie wire the only way to repair it is to dig it up and expose it, then cut out the rusting parts. The one saving grace is that its behind the tile so that the effects of the repair won't look bad. Is there any legal action you can take?
Im actually not sure yet. I will keep all options on the table. The builder had been communicating through text with me up until 3 months ago when he was on TV and in the news for some bad business practices. Since then I have not heard back. I think he is going under to say the least.

Im actually not sure yet. I will keep all options on the table. The builder had been communicating through text with me up until 3 months ago when he was on TV and in the news for some bad business practices. Since then I have not heard back. I think he is going under to say the least.
This is a lot of labor but with some help you could do it yourself or you have to hire a qualified pool technician

To replace the Shotcrete that has to be removed in order to remove the compromised rebar, a hydraulic cement can be used. Preparation of the area prior to installation is important and that the surface must be clean and porous in order for the new product to adhere properly.

To replace the Shotcrete that has to be removed in order to remove the compromised rebar, a hydraulic cement can be used. Preparation of the area prior to installation is important and that the surface must be clean and porous in order for the new product to adhere properly.
First you would have to drain the pool. Then remove the tile from the area.and that will expose the rusting area. Using a chipping hammer dig out the area following the rust line until you find the cause of the rust. If you are lucky you will hot have to make more than a 8 inch wide hole or 6 inches deep. Fix using Aqua-Holics advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. I have a former career in Tile setting and flooring and still have most of my tools. So with your advice and maybe a little YouTube I am hopeful I can tackle this myself. The rusting is actually taking place above the water line so I wont have to drain to much of the water hopefully.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.