Another small pool build League City TX

tldude876

Silver Supporter
Jan 3, 2018
League City, TX
I have been a lurker for the past few months and I think it might be time to pull the trigger. I got a few bids about 6 months but decided to hold off at the time. With the heat we've had in the past few weeks I started toying with the idea again. We are on diamond shaped lot with most of the space towards the side of the yard but I don't like the idea of having the pool on the side so here we are trying to fit it directly behind the existing back patio. About a year ago the city started to implement a 10ft build line as opposed to the standard 7ft utility easement so there goes 3ft of extra spaces. The left edge of the patio is about 25ft from the fence with the distance increasing the further right you go. Below are images of the design and the proposal made by the PB we decided to go with.

Anything I should add/remove?
Does everything look good in terms of equipment and specs?

Thanks in advance.

Pool size : 13x31
Pool Depth: up to 6ft
Pool area :359 sq ft
Pool Volume: 9700 gallons

Mechanical Equipment

Filter: 48 sq ft - Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter
Pump: 1.5 HP - Pentair Whisperflo Pump
Valves: Never Lube Valve 2”-2.5”
Skimmers: 2 CMP; 2-in Lines Separate Line & Valves Tan Skimmer Lids to Match Deck
Pool Light: 1 x Pentair IntelliBrite Pool Color LED w/ GFCI
Cleaner: Pentair Racer LS
Santizer: Pentair iChlor Salt System
Ozone: Ozone Joe Water Purification System
Inlets: 5 pool return inlets
Main Drains: 2 Main Drains - Separate Lines & Valves

Structural Pool Specs

Beam: 4 Bar Box Beam w/ #4 Rebar Continuous
Walls/Floor: #3 8”x8” on Center Both Ways w/ #3 Alternates
Gunite: 6 to 1 Cement to Sand Ratio
Gunite Beam: 12” Minimum, 8” Cove
Gunite (Walls/Floor):6” Minimum
Steps/Benches: Per Plan

Plumbing Specifications

2” Suction, Separte Lines, Separate Valves
PVC Schedule 40 On All Pool Piping
PVC Schedule 80 On All Pump Connections
2” Returns To 1st “T”

Electrical & Gas

All Electric Hook Up Included 25 Linear Feet Gas Hook Up Included

Tile, Coping & Interior Finish

Tile: 6-inch Water Line Tile ($6.00 per sq. ft. allowance)
Tile: 2” Tile Trim on Steps and Benches - Choice
Coping: Classic Travertine
Interior Finish: Quartzscape (Tier 1)

Deck Specs

Type of Deck: Spray Deck
Area of Deck: 535 ft²
Additional Deck: $11.00 per additional sq ft
Steel Schedule: 15-in O.C. Both Ways

Pool Maintenance Equipment

Pole: 8’ to 16’ Telescoping Pole
Wall Brush: Heavy Duty Gunite Brush
Leaf Net: Deluxe Skimmer Net
Test Kit: Deluxe 5-Part DPD Test Kit

Miscellaneous

Underground 3/4” Fill Line to Hose Bib with Vacuum Breaker
Concrete Equipment Pad Poured In Place

Start-Up Chemicals & Water Stabilization

6lb FiberClear Filtration Media
6lb. Poolife Stabilizer
12lb. Poolife Turbo Shock
4 gallons of Muratic Acid
4lb. 3” Multipurpose Chlorine Tablets
1qt. Poolife Intensive Stain Prevention

home1.jpgpic5.jpgpic4.jpgpic3.jpgpic2.jpgpic1.jpgpic6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another small pool build

OP, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a pool in the side yard out of hand. I have a somewhat non-standard lot myself, with a big side yard with a pre-existing pool in that side yard when we bought the house. Depending on how you house is oriented, where the main rooms are, and how exposed the side is to the street, it can work out great.

I think your drawings look fine - I don't see any problems. Couldn't read your contract, it was too small and a bit blurry, so can't comment on that. If you repost something more legible, I am sure yo uwill get some useful input.

Re: Another small pool build

OP, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a pool in the side yard out of hand. I have a somewhat non-standard lot myself, with a big side yard with a pre-existing pool in that side yard when we bought the house. Depending on how you house is oriented, where the main rooms are, and how exposed the side is to the street, it can work out great.

I think your drawings look fine - I don't see any problems. Couldn't read your contract, it was too small and a bit blurry, so can't comment on that. If you repost something more legible, I am sure yo uwill get some useful input.
We specifically chose this lot due to the size but the one story we built has a huge footprint and ate up the space. I think having it on the side will be an out of sight out of mind thing. Another plus is the water view having it behind the patio. I have updated my specs in the original post.
Thanks

I really like the design! It fits in great with your yard and house.

I am going to go down your build list:

-depth-what is the beginning depth? How deep will the shelf be?

-equipment-model numbers please and make sure to get them in writing from your PB

-LOVE the valves!

-Santizer: Pentair iChlor Salt System -what size? It should be rated at twice the size of your pool to save on power and cell life

-Ozone: Ozone Joe Water Purification System-remove it from the list. Here is a link to our info on it: Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

-main drains-did you know you do not need them? It is up to you.

-25 Linear Feet Gas Hook Up Included-how much if more is needed?

That should get us started!

Kim:kim:

Ditch the Ozone... the SWCG is all you will need...

It should be illegal to install a new pool with a single speed pump. :p

You need either a 2-speed pump or a Variable Speed pump so that it does not cost you a fortune to run...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You also might think about a robot cleaner instead of a 1960's technology cleaner. Here is a great link... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwja3deA4o3cAhUNW60KHcF3A4gQFggvMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F120447-Doheny-s-Discovery-S200-Active20-Triton-owners-club&usg=AOvVaw35cFjdsfGNUS1pItB66-7m

I really like the design! It fits in great with your yard and house.

I am going to go down your build list:

-depth-what is the beginning depth? How deep will the shelf be?

-equipment-model numbers please and make sure to get them in writing from your PB

-LOVE the valves!

-Santizer: Pentair iChlor Salt System -what size? It should be rated at twice the size of your pool to save on power and cell life

-Ozone: Ozone Joe Water Purification System-remove it from the list. Here is a link to our info on it: Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

-main drains-did you know you do not need them? It is up to you.

-25 Linear Feet Gas Hook Up Included-how much if more is needed?

That should get us started!

I am thinking of doing 12" depth for the shelf. We are not doing a heater so the gas hookup won't be necessary. Can you please provide a little more detail on why the main drain isn't necessary? Thank you for the pointers, I now have more questions for the PB :)

Ditch the Ozone... the SWCG is all you will need...

It should be illegal to install a new pool with a single speed pump. :p

You need either a 2-speed pump or a Variable Speed pump so that it does not cost you a fortune to run...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You also might think about a robot cleaner instead of a 1960's technology cleaner. Here is a great link... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-owners-club&usg=AOvVaw35cFjdsfGNUS1pItB66-7m
I already had planned to ditch the ozone. Good catch on the VS pump, for some reasons I thought it was. I'll definitely look into the robot cleaner.
Thanks

Why a main drain:

-can help circulate and mix the water-good for chemicals and help even out the temps
-IF something happens to the skimmer then the main drain can still work

Why to NOT have a main drain:

-entrapment danger-of course this is small due to the new rules about having duel main drains but.....

-In a shallower pool they could be a toe stubber or trip hazard....

It is totally up to you. I just wanted to let you know you DO have that option. That is what TFP is all about. Helping you to make decisions based on fact instead of "this is how it is done".

Why a main drain:

-can help circulate and mix the water-good for chemicals and help even out the temps
-IF something happens to the skimmer then the main drain can still work

Why to NOT have a main drain:

-entrapment danger-of course this is small due to the new rules about having duel main drains but.....

-In a shallower pool they could be a toe stubber or trip hazard....

It is totally up to you. I just wanted to let you know you DO have that option. That is what TFP is all about. Helping you to make decisions based on fact instead of "this is how it is done".

Appreciate the information Kim. I believe the drains are standard with the PB packages so I'll just leave it in since there won't be any cost savings and no real ill effects to having them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spray deck will be a lot cooler on your feet. Depending on how much decking you need you may want to ask about travertine pavers. I was surprised when we upgraded it wasn’t as much as I thought it was going to be.

Travertine will run about 7k extra and will blow the budget unfortunately

- - - Updated - - -

That is the noise I heard over here...........your wallet screaming LOL

Lol. You'll hear it even more after the first payment.

I would suggest getting a heater. It can and will extend your swim season. I don’t find ours adds much to the gas bill at all. And in the fall/winter we crank it up to 90 (I like it warm!).
Thanks for the suggestion. We had initially ruled it out because we absolutely hate the cold but after speaking to my neighbor who built a pool last year he said that's one of the few things he'll look into adding. Going to discuss it with the PB and if it not in budget I'll at least get the plumbing done for now.

Congrats Tldude!

I live in your neck of the woods too. About to sign a contract myself!
Can’t wait to see some pics!

What did your PB say about switching to a VS pump?

Congrats Tldude!

I live in your neck of the woods too. About to sign a contract myself!
Can’t wait to see some pics!

What did your PB say about switching to a VS pump?

Thanks man. I keep going back and forth whether to get the pool or not especially with a newborn but I think we will all enjoy and see the benefit in years to come. Currently waiting for approval from the city and then hoping for a somewhat smooth build. The PB charges an extra $500 for the upgrade. He did suggest that it wasn't really necessary due to the size of the pool but we took the upgrade anyway. Good luck with your build and please share your thread when you get started.

Thanks man. I keep going back and forth whether to get the pool or not especially with a newborn but I think we will all enjoy and see the benefit in years to come. Currently waiting for approval from the city and then hoping for a somewhat smooth build. The PB charges an extra $500 for the upgrade. He did suggest that it wasn't really necessary due to the size of the pool but we took the upgrade anyway. Good luck with your build and please share your thread when you get started.

From everything I’ve read, VS pumps are the way to go. The energy efficiency alone makes them worth the cost. One PB told me the the sate of California requires VS pumps on all new builds and remodels. I looked it up and he was right. Good luck with you’re build and I will start my thread when things get started.

Dig day. Had 3 crews out all on the first day with the excavation crew arriving at 6:30 am ready to roll. The process so far has quite impressive especially how quick the guys work in the Texas heat. Inspection and gunite is scheduled for tomorrow, Day 2.
20180820_170517.jpg
20180821_073623.jpg
20180821_092620.jpg
20180821_095523.jpg
20180821_144532.jpg
20180821_144556.jpg
20180821_182852.jpg
20180821_182904.jpg

Attachments

• 20180821_124327.jpg
    20180821_124327.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.