Another leak thread...

Feb 15, 2017
MD
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster (and/or haven't posted in quite a while...) I'm looking for suggestions on how to tackle my situation.

TL;DR - pool developed a leak. Going to let the pool leak water out over winter, want to stabilize walls over winter. Don't care about current liner ripping/shrinking. Already had planned to replace in spring.

We have a leak in our 18' AGP. Pool is steel wall, free standing with maybe 1/4 of it butts up to the deck. Not buried. I am pretty sure the leak is low wall or floor, but haven't found it yet. No pooling/water around the pool that I cant find yet, which drives me crazy. Weather is getting cooler, water is getting colder...

We were already planning on replacing this liner in the spring, because the one we have is bleached to heck and installed poorly by previous owners.

From reading around, it seems the water in the pool helps with structural integrity. What can I do/jerry-rig up for the winter to support the walls in case the water leaks out completely, before replacing the liner in the spring? I am concerned winds will cause the pool walls to cave in?

Before it's suggested - Replacing the liner has to wait until spring due to timing of other commitments.

Appreciate any and all suggestions/assistance in advanced!

I would try to keep the water level to winter level until time to do the replacement.

Unfortunately I don't think that is an option, unless you mean topping off the water all winter long? I'd rather spend a little money supporting the walls a bit compared to hiking up the water bill all winter.

I probably won't get time to mess with it until first week of December. And with being in Maryland, it's going to be too cold to get in that water to look for a leak.

I was thinking last night to let it do its thing and drain down as far as it will go. If it's low enough, I can pop in with some waders on and try see what I can see. The lowest it's gone is under about ~half, and it took about a ~2 weeks. This is for an 18ft round pool.

I might just throw some tent stakes around the yard with some rope to the tops of the walls, and "support" the walls with a light outward tension, if that makes sense (assuming all water will be lost).

Another idea I had is to put a long 2x4, or PVC pipe across the length of the pool, clamped down, maybe with a center support. Then cover as normal, and be conscious of any excess snow sitting on it this winter.

Again, my concern is keeping walls from collapsing in for the winter. The liner is getting replaced regardless of what I do this year.

depending on how fast your leak is that may be the best way to support the walls. it does not take much wind to trash them even with ropes and clamps supporting things. water provides such a sturdy, even pressure all over the inside. using boards or string only supports where they touch and even if you use a lot of tie points it, will never equal what water can do.

obviously if the leak is major that makes a difference, but if you are just loosing a few inches a week it might be worth keeping it topped off...

I would think any structure you build for winter support is going to be about the equivalent amount of work as just going ahead and doing the liner and refilling the pool.

I agree with Pv2. How much water are you losing? Even if you could keep it half full, you'd be better off than trying to brace the wall some how. I just can't imaging the increase in your water bill would equal or surpass the cost of replacing the whole pool if the wall caves in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.