Another AGP build thread - a resume from a disatrous pandemic summer

Over the past few days, I drained the pool to below the skimmer, and reinstalled it. I sandwiched the wall between the 2 gasket pieces, removing the liner I previously had sandwiched in there as well. Upon reinstalling and filling, I don't notice any drips now.

I also unscrewed my union so I could unscrew the adapter from the return, re-taped the threads, re-inserted, and no drips there now.

I previously taped the threads of the pressure guage on the filter, no drips there now either! I'm finally drip free!

I ordered a timer so I don't have to remember to turn on/off the pump manually all the time. From my breaker box, the only circuit (20a) to the pool is tied into a 20a 4 outlet gfci weatherproof box. I currently have the pool pump plugged into this and it works normally. I will be removing the wires on the pump motor, so the 3 prong plug will go from the outlet to the timer. I understand the 3 locations that these wires will go to.

3-prong plug:
black -> L1
white -> N/L2
ground to ground screw in timer box
jumper from L1 to NO1 (terminal 1 to terminal 3)

I will then wire the pump neutral to L2, and the pump hot to L4, and pump ground to the box ground. I believe this is the right wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_141755825.jpg
    IMG_20210411_141755825.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210411_141803363.jpg
    IMG_20210411_141803363.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 9
I was able to install the timer yesterday. It works so well. Lots of programmable settings, and a battery backup if we lose power. So much more versatile than a mechanical timer. I currently have it set to run for 2.5 hours each morning and late afternoon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVKSDD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still haven't put chemicals in yet. Can I put the stabilizer in without chlorine? If I read the app right, I need to use the entire 4lb's of stabilizer. It's good for the season/year, right? Next year, do the same? I don't want to put chlorine in yet, as the weather still isn't getting above 70's yet (currently 50's-60's for at least 3-4 weeks). I feel it's just a waste at this point if the temps are so low.

Attached are pics as the rock landscaping goes in. It looks quite nice I think. There are more rocks up to almost the top level of the edging, the pics were taken before it was finished. My wife wants to put solar lights in the rocks instead of plants.

I'm glad that this project is pretty much finished at this point, lots of time and energy spent on it. I do have plans for the future and will update this thread accordingly if and when I do anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_180411638.jpg
    IMG_20210407_180411638.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210412_165418504.jpg
    IMG_20210412_165418504.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 18
I still haven't put chemicals in yet. Can I put the stabilizer in without chlorine?

Yes.

If I read the app right, I need to use the entire 4lb's of stabilizer.

How many gallons in your pool?

Please create your signature withd etails of your pool and equipment.

It's good for the season/year, right?

Not exactly. CYA will degrade over time and you will lose a bit. Check your CYA level at least monthly and top off as needed.

Next year, do the same?

More or less.

I don't want to put chlorine in yet, as the weather still isn't getting above 70's yet (currently 50's-60's for at least 3-4 weeks).

Put chlorine in your water. It protects you from algae. If the chlorine is not needed it will not be consumed. Better it is waiting in your pool water then doing nothing in a jug.

I feel it's just a waste at this point if the temps are so low.

It will be a lot more expensive if algae takes hold in your pool and you need to spend a lot of chlorine with the SLAM Process

Thanks for the responses, that makes a lot of sense! I'll be putting in stabilizer and chlorine then today. The pool is 24' round, so around 14,000 gallons.

4lbs of stabilizer should give you CYA 40.

I was looking at some robots this morning, after seeing all the leaves at the bottom of the water today (had some winds last night).

I don't feel like spending a whole lot on them currently, so are either of these any good:

I was looking at some robots this morning, after seeing all the leaves at the bottom of the water today (had some winds last night).

I don't feel like spending a whole lot on them currently, so are either of these any good:
Pool Supplies Superstore is Doheny by another name; same address, same products, different branding.

There's a Doheny robot "club" thread you might want to ask for feedback in. :)

Well, priorities changed. The wife vetoed a robot (unnecessary atm), and I kind of agree. Sure, it would be nice, but we can clean without it currently. I did get all the stabilizer in, but not the chlorine yet. We've been awfully busy as school started their spring sports. The kids are excited as they couldn't play last year.

The wife did already agree to host a few pool party birthdays already for our nephews. And she says she doesn't have favorites... One of them is mid June, and our weather up here in Northwest PA isn't 90's and sunny in June yet. After telling her the water temp might not be that great in mid-june, I received the "I told you I wanted a heater" statement. She didn't realize how much it would effect our gas bills, so after she learned of that, it was okay to not get a gas heater. I did mention solar, so I might be swayed that way and just hope the sun is out around then.

I don't need to spend a lot on solar panels, as my current project/build was more than I wanted to spend. I keep finding things to keep doing/adding, and my wife won't stop buying pool toys/floats. I just want to see if solar is worth the investment in good panels down the line in our area. With that in mind, I found these solar panels at a cheap price: Amazon.com : XtremepowerUS Inground/Above Ground Swimming Pool Solar Panel Heating System 28" X 20' : Swimming Pool Heaters : Garden & Outdoor

If they don't last, so be it, I'd hope to get a season or two at least. I have a low roof that faces south that gets a lot of sun when it really shines. Replacing these in the future wouldn't be difficult. The roof can be accessed from ground level behind our garage. I'm concerned about 1 picture on them though, that shows the flow of water going through half the panel and back down the other half of the panel. Is this how most of them are? If I chain a few of them together, doesn't that really restrict the flow of water? I thought the right way to do solar was to move lots of water fast with low temp rise? With these cheaper panels, would I have to tee off before a panel to add another panel, and tee all the returns back in together? Or do they work chained together?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went ahead and ordered 2 of those cheaper solar panels and 2 check valves (sch 40 pvc). I will plumb the solar panels separately rather than chained, and the outputs will each have their own check valve installed before being tee'd back together into the return. If I just get use out of this season I will be okay with the purchase.

My roof line over the garage is close to the pool and lower, so it's about 1-5 ft higher than the filter output pipe. I'll have to figure out drainage when the solar side is off, as I have a diverter valve but it's not drilled nor made for solar. Honestly, I'd probably leave it mostly flowing through solar and run the pump 10-7 or so. I do know the panels will be slightly angled back towards the in/out side for drainage, but I have to figure out way to let the water drain out of the pipe.

If I drill a very small hole on the lowest (underside) part of a pvc angle/elbow, will water always drip out even if it's pushed past it, or will it only drip out when the water is still (diverted away from solar)?

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_115659600.jpg
    IMG_20210418_115659600.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 12
Alright, so the weather was finally decent today and I was able to get the solar panels put up and plumbed up. I have a leak where the pvc connects to the panel supplied connector (the 2 thread together). I bet I didn't use enough tape or it's not holding well enough after tightening.

Using the return as normal (without solar) works as normal. The return puts out a good water flow. I have a 2 speed pump and definitely notice the difference between the 2 in return flow. However, upon redirecting the flow to solar, I barely get any water flow at all, on either low or high speeds. I can hear the water flowing the solar tubes and back down through the return piping. I don't know if the problem is the check valve not allowing enough flow through, or if the panels restrict flow that much, and the return piping never actually fills with enough water.

The filter normally sits around 5psi on low and barely 10psi on high (without solar). When redirecting to solar, low barely moves up, but high speed moves up to about 15-20psi (probably moreso 17-18). With either low or high, I can barely feel water coming into the pool at the return.

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_174339813_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210510_174339813_HDR.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210510_174407906.jpg
    IMG_20210510_174407906.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210510_174415935_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210510_174415935_HDR.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 15
I think I figured out what is happening. I took the couple pieces that connect and thread together off (on both the in and out sides of the panels). I re-taped all of the threads and put them back together. It's about 99% better on the leaking. The return connection does not leak at all, and the intake connection has a very slight drip through the panel connection where an o-ring is used. Doing this increased flow dramatically through the return.

However, I plumbed my solar panels in a way that the panels are connected together, so water flows through 1 set of panels, and then through the other set of panels. I bet if I tee'd off the intake pipe and sent water through each panel separately and tee'd them back together in the return, I'd get better results. Would it be that much better to buy another set of the panel pvc connectors and rework it all, I don't know. I feel like it works well enough now.

The ambient temp is 60F out currently with the sun shining and the water is at 60F today compared to the water being in the low 50's a few days ago with no sun. I'm not saying the increase is strictly because of the solar (as I know the ambient and sun helps warm the water), but I can see it helping so far.

I also added 2 gallons of 10% bleach today and put the pump on high speed to circulate. The water has never been higher than 60ish yet and is starting to turn green. Now that the solar is done and working, it's time to start maintaining chemistry!

You should get a decent amount of neat into the pool from those solar panels. I have 3 2x20 solar panels from amazon they last decently well and work as advertised. My pool stays in the upper 80s and low 90s from June to October. I only use my heat pump to supplement on days or weeks where it's been rain or cloudy a lot.

I didn't catch if you have a solar bubble cover for the pool but without it pretty much any solar heat gained during the day will be lost overnight this time of year.

I also noticed you have a manual diverter valve for the panels. An automatic valve setup that monitors the surface temperature of the area next to the solar panels will increase your net heat gain in the pool dramatically. Solar panels area very effective at cooling the pool down when water is flowing thru them and there is no sunlight.

I do have a solar bubble cover, it's been on for about 2 weeks now and hasn't been removed yet. I couldn't justify the full diverter automation kit (diverter, actuator, sensors, controller, etc) until I knew if it worked well or not.

I understand the hesitation to spend the money I went thru the same thing when I got my panels. I had doubts about the cheap amazon panels. They really do work surprisingly well. As long as you drain them really well before the winter they seem to be pretty durable as well.

Adding the automatic controller really will make a dramatic difference in how much heat makes into and stays in your pool.

I would also suggest plumbing the panels in parallel rather than series as you have them plumbed now. You want as much flow as you can get thru the panels. If you are getting really hot water out of the panels you arent getting full efficiency. Ideally you should be pushing enough water thru the panels to keep the water temp rise under 5 degrees.

I didn't see a vaccine breaker plumbed into the panels either you will want one of them to drain the panels.

The panels are just a few feet higher than the pump/filter. Plus there are unions on both the intake and return plumbing that I will be able to undo and drain from for winter. I agree that I should plumb them separately and will be doing that in the future. I guess I'll order the pieces for the 1.5 pvc connectors so I at least have them ready for when time permits.

I'm currently awaiting test kits to arrive. My water is currently cloudy though. I added 3 jugs (1 gallon each) over the course of 4 days and acquired a robot which has been working ok. I have lots of skimming to do with the "long net cleaner" because of the amount of debris that drops from our trees close by. I'm still cleaning up leaves that sank too. Until the test kits get here, does this look like a not enough chlorine and thus too dirty water issue? I added 4 lbs of stabilizer a few weeks ago which should be a CYA around 40 I think.

My kids and I got in it today because the water hit 74! So refreshing after their soccer practice! It held up great! I admit I was nervous because this is the first time with bodies in it, but it was solid!

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_121521096.jpg
    IMG_20210519_121521096.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.