Ancient K2 spa pump/filter/heater replacement

Slayd

Jun 1, 2016
Orlando, FL
This is really my last resort. I bought a house that has an ingrown fiberglass spa set inside a deck, halfway in the ground. The seller said it worked, it doesn't, and that ship has sailed. The pump works, I can get water circulating but it won't heat. I've called tons of spa/pool contractors in my area (orlando), but no one will touch it. They either say they only do above ground spas or they only do in ground spas, and everyone says mine is....neither?

At this point it's been sitting for 2 years. I don't know how to drain it because I can't get half the equipment running, no one can tell me how, and half of the control panel on the tub doesn't work. I'll attach photos to this thread. At this point i don't know what else to do but replace the equipment myself. I don't know much about pools but I am a general contractor so I am comfortable with electrical and some plumbing. The fiberglass itself is in great condition. Is this worth replacing, can I do it myself, or should i toss everything and just put an above ground unit in?

Attachments

• 20220822_164647.jpg
    20220822_164647.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220822_164652.jpg
    20220822_164652.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220822_164703.jpg
    20220822_164703.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220822_164716.jpg
    20220822_164716.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220822_165644.jpg
    20220822_165644.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220822_164642.jpg
    20220822_164642.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 6
At this point I think you are at the point of diminished returns. Before sinking any money into it check out what new spa would run (if you want one). Personally I would go with a totally stand-alone that sits on your deck.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is really my last resort. I bought a house that has an ingrown fiberglass spa set inside a deck, halfway in the ground. The seller said it worked, it doesn't, and that ship has sailed. The pump works, I can get water circulating but it won't heat. I've called tons of spa/pool contractors in my area (orlando), but no one will touch it. They either say they only do above ground spas or they only do in ground spas, and everyone says mine is....neither?

At this point it's been sitting for 2 years. I don't know how to drain it because I can't get half the equipment running, no one can tell me how, and half of the control panel on the tub doesn't work. I'll attach photos to this thread. At this point i don't know what else to do but replace the equipment myself. I don't know much about pools but I am a general contractor so I am comfortable with electrical and some plumbing. The fiberglass itself is in great condition. Is this worth replacing, can I do it myself, or should i toss everything and just put an above ground unit in?
Nothing is as good as new except new. However, this may work, or is a place to get answers:

You are talking about a pretty big investment on an old tub. As a rebuilder, I wouldn't touch it. As a repair guy I would STRONGLY recommend you consider an upgrade, even in the used market.
This simple shell will never have the same feel as even a cheap newer one with lots of jets. But it can be made to get water hot, assuming it holds water, if that's what you're after.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.