Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been following the TFP method this season and I think I am doing it right, just have a few nagging concerns.
1. CYA - I am testing CYA at 25 now. Attached test from leslies says its 38, but my own says its half way between 20 and 30 mark. This gets me in a panick when there is sun out and chlorine burns fast. But lately its been cloudy and chlorine level has been really stable. I need some support in resisting the urge to add stabilizer. I think I am good right now, but if it gets sunny out, I know I am going to be worried. I know my CYA testing technique is not great yet, I am struggling when testing on a cloudy day vs a sunny day. vs indoors vs outdoors, etc. I am also takin water from wherever I can reach up to my elbow. Also, the pool water temps may be an issue, but they have been over 70F this whole time I believe.
2. Alkalinity. What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool says 60-80. But I think TFKits says 100+ and leslies says 80+. So am I good at 70?
3. PH. I struggle with testing for this. Tjhe color is always bettween 7.5 and 7.8. So I always guesstimate like 7.6 or 7.7. Surprised leslie's says 7.9. So probably I am good. But I am wondering how you guys estimate when its between colors. Also why isn't there a more accurate test based on counting drops?
4. Phosphates - I read here about how to lower that. I also know its not needed. I am considering doing it before I backwash mid season which is a month or so away. Just want to drop it a little to get an idea of how it affects the pool and the logistics of it all. Then probably I will do more once a year in the spring when the pool is not in use. But that depends on how the first run goes. And I am willing to do it slowly over however many years it takes to do without being too much work. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Finally, I am looking at trying jack's magix kit to identify what kind of stains I have. The kit says FC between 1-3. But I am kind of worried about goign so low.. so might just do it around 4. But it also says for a lower PH. With my PH on the higher side of things, would it be reasonable to put in some muriatic acid today and then see how TA and PH react? And would I be able to do the stain kit today or tomorrow? Or should I just do it with current PH and not use any muriatic acid?

Attachments

• WIN_20210602_14_08_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210602_14_08_35_Pro.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 5
1. CYA - I am testing CYA at 25 now. Attached test from leslies says its 38, but my own says its half way between 20 and 30 mark. This gets me in a panick when there is sun out and chlorine burns fast. But lately its been cloudy and chlorine level has been really stable. I need some support in resisting the urge to add stabilizer. I think I am good right now, but if it gets sunny out, I know I am going to be worried. I know my CYA testing technique is not great yet, I am struggling when testing on a cloudy day vs a sunny day. vs indoors vs outdoors, etc. I am also takin water from wherever I can reach up to my elbow. Also, the pool water temps may be an issue, but they have been over 70F this whole time I believe.
The CYA test is the hardest one to do. It is somewhat subjective. Always round up. So your 25 is actually 30. You are fine to stay there but if it stresses you out, bump it up to 40 and you will still be fine. Just make sure you keep you FC in range based on your CYA. FC/CYA Levels

2. Alkalinity. What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool says 60-80. But I think TFKits says 100+ and leslies says 80+. So am I good at 70?
70 is fine.

3. PH. I struggle with testing for this. Tjhe color is always bettween 7.5 and 7.8. So I always guesstimate like 7.6 or 7.7. Surprised leslie's says 7.9. So probably I am good. But I am wondering how you guys estimate when its between colors. Also why isn't there a more accurate test based on counting drops?
Since you have a plaster pool, you will need to pay attention to the pH. Do you use the pool math phone app? If so, turn on the CSI setting. You may need to adjust you pH to keep the CSI inline.

4. Phosphates - I read here about how to lower that. I also know its not needed. I am considering doing it before I backwash mid season which is a month or so away. Just want to drop it a little to get an idea of how it affects the pool and the logistics of it all. Then probably I will do more once a year in the spring when the pool is not in use. But that depends on how the first run goes. And I am willing to do it slowly over however many years it takes to do without being too much work. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Phosphates don't really matter as long as you keep your FC in range.

Finally, I am looking at trying jack's magix kit to identify what kind of stains I have. The kit says FC between 1-3. But I am kind of worried about goign so low.. so might just do it around 4. But it also says for a lower PH. With my PH on the higher side of things, would it be reasonable to put in some muriatic acid today and then see how TA and PH react? And would I be able to do the stain kit today or tomorrow? Or should I just do it with current PH and not use any muriatic acid?
What kind of stains do you have? Can you take a picture of it. You might be able to ID it and fix it without buying the kit.

You have a wonderful TF100 test kit. No need to post pool store test results. Must people here will not even look at it. Use your test kit and build confidence in your ability to do the tests on your own.

Picture of stain:
I use pool logger on PC. I am not sure that is part of here or not. In any case my CSI is -.13 and is well within range I think. Not sure if reducing the PH will improve CSI or not, but at this point it may not matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.