Am I doing it right?

is there a meter you recommend? how often do they have to be calibrated?
I have no experience with the meter.
Often. Preferably every time you use it. But with experience you may not have to do it that often.

It's not ideal, but might be the best option for me at this time. The autodrain dumps the water out about as fast as it takes it in, maybe a bit slower. I'll give it a go. It's the most convenient way to do it. If I had a pump, id drain some water out and fill, but I don't have one. At least I don't have to babysit the hose running lol

Miguel,

It would work but take a lot more water..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
The colder water will separate at the bottom of the pool. So if fill water is colder, putting the hose in the deep end and letting the pool go to overflow will work. If the fill water is warmer, that will not work. Disable your pool pump during this process.

I noticed that my pH was climbing fast and hard after I switched to liquid chlorine. I figured that CYA from the tablets had been keeping it in check from rising too much too fast? I also read that liquid chlorine should not raise pH? Then I read that keeping my TA high could contribute to high pH and vice versa.

Adding liquid chlorine raises pH, but "using" chlorine (for killing germs, oxidising "stuff", UV-decay) is an acidic process that compensates pretty accurately the initial rise by adding chlorine. The full cycle of adding and using chlorine is more or less ph-neutral. The rise that you are seeing is caused by CO2 outgassing due to your high TA. Once you get your TA below about 70-80, the pH-rise should slow down. While you were chlorinating with pucks, the pH-rise by outgassing was compensated by the acidity of the Trichlor.

The higher the TA, the higher the pH will be where the outgassing slows down significantly.

is there a meter you recommend? how often do they have to be calibrated?

I am using the Apera PH60, very happy with that. When it was new, I calibrated it each time before using it, now I settled on calibrating it every 3 to 4 weeks.

Excellent, that I can do. Temps will be in the 50's for a few days, so the fill water will definitely be colder than the pool water. I'll get the pool temp up to 85-90, drop the hose in the deep end and let it ride for about 4 hours. After that, run the pump to get it mixed and test? Repeat until CYA is at the right level

Sound good?

Thanks for the info!

The colder water will separate at the bottom of the pool. So if fill water is colder, putting the hose in the deep end and letting the pool go to overflow will work. If the fill water is warmer, that will not work. Disable your pool pump during this process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TA is lower now, and the pH rise is slower for sure. Is it safe to assume that since my CYA is so high and I'm having to use much higher amounts of chlorine than usual, the outgassing is significantly more and contributing to higher/faster pH rise?

I'll look into the APERA PH60, thanks!

Adding liquid chlorine raises pH, but "using" chlorine (for killing germs, oxidising "stuff", UV-decay) is an acidic process that compensates pretty accurately the initial rise by adding chlorine. The full cycle of adding and using chlorine is more or less ph-neutral. The rise that you are seeing is caused by CO2 outgassing due to your high TA. Once you get your TA below about 70-80, the pH-rise should slow down. While you were chlorinating with pucks, the pH-rise by outgassing was compensated by the acidity of the Trichlor.

The higher the TA, the higher the pH will be where the outgassing slows down significantly.

I am using the Apera PH60, very happy with that. When it was new, I calibrated it each time before using it, now I settled on calibrating it every 3 to 4 weeks.

I suspect it will take more than 4 hours to exchange 2500 gallons. Most hoses put out about 5 to 7 gpm. Measure yours using a 5 gallon bucket.

Will do, thanks. When we first filled the pool up, I had 3 hoses going into it. The pool filled up in about 6 hours, maybe 7. That works out to about 5 gpm. Guess i'll let the hose run overnight for about 8 hours, run the pump, then test CYA?

I suspect it will take more than 4 hours to exchange 2500 gallons. Most hoses put out about 5 to 7 gpm. Measure yours using a 5 gallon bucket.

I recommend you test the flow rate from the hose you are going to use. Also be sure your overflow can manage that rate when you start.

Ok, test the flow rate after work today. Not really sure how test the overflow, but it can drain fairly fast. Kept up with the large storms we had in Houston, I live in Northeast Houston which has been getting the hard rain. I'll measure the flow rate of the hose and go from there. I started the heater about an hour ago, according to the wife, with the current weather conditions, should be about 7 hours to raise the pool from 70 to 80. Just might be able to get the 2500 displaced by the end of the night!

I recommend you test the flow rate from the hose you are going to use. Also be sure your overflow can manage that rate when you start.

Monitor the overflow when you start the hose. After 30 minutes or so you should know if you have an issue. Where does the overflow water go?

The wife and I don't spend too much time underwater with our eyes open. My son though...little man is a fish, he's down there all the time lol. I tried goggles on him, but they kept coming off so it frustrated him and doesn't like wearing them. I'll give it another shot, maybe I can find some better ones.

Miguel, Independent of your water balancing efforts, I would recommend using swim goggles for the family. They are worth it.

The goggles are primarily to keep them from rubbing their eyes. With proper water chemistry your eyes are unaffected by the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.