Am I being too picky???

Kimber_D

May 20, 2020
Austin, TX
The lines on my pool are off. The back from the right to the left comes in and is not exactly straight. It all comes in on the left. Will it look better once it’s completely finished? Will it be less noticeable? Is this common? Do you see it or is it just me? Can anything be done at this point or am I stuck with a crooked pool?

Attachments

• AC78482B-1E01-4919-ACED-574E2F63852D.jpeg
    AC78482B-1E01-4919-ACED-574E2F63852D.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Did you measure various distances along the walls to see if they are parallel the way you expect? The eye if often deceiving in judging lines.

What did your pool plans show?

I kinda see it but I dont know what the end plan looks like. Gunite is rough, when finish material goes on it will totally change from what it is now
Ok, the concrete owner is the one that told me it wasn’t square. The pb came the next day and fixed the spa but I’m not sure fixed the rest of it. I guess I will wait and see what it looks like when it’s done. Thank you! This is our first time building a pool so not sure what to expect.

Did you measure various distances along the walls to see if they are parallel the way you expect? The eye if often deceiving in judging lines.

What did your pool plans show?
No, I haven’t. I just know the concrete owner came out and said it wasn’t square. He did the measurements before the concrete. The pb came and definitely fixed the spa. I just don’t think it matches all the way to the other end. The spa comes in at the front as well. The measurements were all right, it was just all done at an angle if that makes sense? The pool is tilted down. I guess I will see what it looks like when it’s all finished.

If you do not like it then speak to the PB. Waiting until it is all done will leave you with little recourse.

Reactions: Woodstock1234
I kinda see it but I dont know what the end plan looks like. Gunite is rough, when finish material goes on it will totally change from what it is now
I didn’t, the concrete guy measured everything and said it wasn’t square. He was scheduled for the next morning. The pb came out and squared off the spa but nothing else so the lines are still off. At this point, is there anything I can do but just live with it being crooked? Look at the sun shelf, you can visibly see that it’s not square.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a drawing of end results? Most pools are not perfectly square they vary slightly. The coping is what matters on install amd will give you the final look, nobody sees a slight variation on overhangs, and the plaster is usually built up to meet evenly. How far out of square are we talking about?

Thanks everyone! I did measure and it is off on the pool shelf. I took another picture from my porch with my back to the wall with the pool spa directly in front of me so you can see more of what I am talking about. You can see that the spa is square and the shelf is not. I hope there is something they can do. My pb will be here later this week. We told him we didn't want more work done until he was able to see what we are seeing. In your experience, can this be fixed?

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 91
A tape measure never lies....when your PB is there get one out and show him if its truly off they will fix it. I will say though the coping will really frame it so if there is just a little bit off on the gunite the coping will help to dissuade the eyes away from it and the plaster will fill in the gap. Good luck this looks like a cool design!

I like to see the "Am I being too picky" posts. My answer is almost always no you are not! You are spending a ton of money and they need to get it right.

I did not see it in the first picture, but can see it now after seeing the second picture.

I am assuming that the hot tub and shelf need to rotate up clockwise so that the sunshelf is square.

If it is not per plans, they need to fix it.

It is much easier to fix now, even though it is still a lot of work. If you can see now and do not get it fixed, you will see it everytime you look at your pool. Good luck!

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.17.16 PM.png it

Ok, I have a picture of what the pool actually looks like. The pb said if we cut off the spa and sun shelf which to me would make it look less off that we would hurt the integrity of the pool. So it sounds like I have to live with this. What are your thoughts? We are not happy!

Attachments

• updatedpool.jpg
    updatedpool.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 34
Hey Kimber !! I had the exact opposite problem. My pool was dead square/plum/level but the 4 corners of the patio had different slopes going away from them so the whole thing looked twisted. It did not help one bit that my brain knew it was an illusion, it bothered me daily.

The good news is you will be able to stage furniture, planters, deck boxes, decor, etc to take the eyes off the noticeable areas. It’s trial and error so it may take a few tries to balance something that hides what needs hiding while looking like it belongs in that spot.

I am also of the mind that you paid darn good hard earned money and deserve what you paid for. You’d never accept a brand new Cadillac with a smashed up hood. This is no different but some people don’t want the added time, aggravation and upfront expense of lawyers to fight it. Either fight it or make them reduce the price enough that you will feel great hiding the problem areas.

Hey Kimber !! I had the exact opposite problem. My pool was dead square/plum/level but the 4 corners of the patio had different slopes going away from them so the whole thing looked twisted. It did not help one bit that my brain knew it was an illusion, it bothered me daily.

The good news is you will be able to stage furniture, planters, deck boxes, decor, etc to take the eyes off the noticeable areas. It’s trial and error so it may take a few tries to balance something that hides what needs hiding while looking like it belongs in that spot.

I am also of the mind that you paid darn good hard earned money and deserve what you paid for. You’d never accept a brand new Cadillac with a smashed up hood. This is no different but some people don’t want the added time, aggravation and upfront expense of lawyers to fight it. Either fight it or make them reduce the price enough that you will feel great hiding the problem areas.
Thanks, what was the outcome of your pool? Do you have a before and after picture?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.