Alternative perma salt chemicals

Welcome to the forum!
Why use proprietary chemicals that you do not know what is in them? TFPC uses everyday household chemicals. Bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda, borax, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Just wondering if I can keep the permasalt system but use different shock chemicals other than the family leisure brand...too outrageously priced in my opinion... thanks in advance!!
Tyson,

Welcome to TFP! By far the most economic pool system is the TFP method. It's easy to do and only uses generic readily available chemicals. Also TFP doesn't sell anything so you're not getting any recommendations that could be motivated by a conflict of interest. I'd strongly recommend you read Pool School (click the link to the left) and click on the link "TFP for beginners" below in my signature. This methodology is based on proven science and very easy for ordinary pool owners to learn. Also, we refrain from using any metals that can have undesirable consequences. Please do respond with any questions you may have. We have unbiased experts in every aspect of pool care, design, construction, maintenance and problem solving. All here at not cost, just a huge organization of volunteers with a passion to help.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Welcome to TFP!

Well, long story short is PermaSalt is highly discouraged here. Systems that do not use an EPA approved sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, biguanide) do not provide adequate sanitation of pool water for us to consider them safe. Also they are almost universally overpriced and sold on misinformation. The most common of course is that chlorine pools smell bad, bleach clothes, and sting eyes. Well, as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "If you have never had my steak, then you don't know good steak". That is, if you have never swam in a TFPC chlorine pool then you don't know good chlorine pools. And we know good chlorine pools, pools that are safer than most yet get comments on how little chlorine people think is in it because it doesn't smell like chlorine. Doesn't hurt that it is more budget friendly than any alternative system either.

So to answer your question: probably but we really don't support such systems and don't offer advice on them. Regardless on the direction you take your pool I hope you find the information on this site helpful in your endeavors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.