Almost that time......Winter closing for ABG pool

Beth222

May 30, 2017
Stillwater, ok.
Is it necessary to drain 6" below skimmer?
Problems I run into:
a winter cover for 30' poo( yes, it says there is 4' overhang but I don't seem to ever have much)l and adding the pillow does not allow the cover to lay on top of water resulting in a taut cover putting significant strain on the railings and walls of pool.
I have ordered a 33' cover, in the past, hoping this would solve the problem but the excess overhang only caused it to catch in the Oklahoma winds and, well.......that idea was no good.
Could I lay the cover on top of water and sink the edges of pool cover in the water and not use the ratchet system therefore nothing to catch wind
Is there a product ( thick , a closed cell foam) used in pool float , that is the same diameter as pool and you lay it right on top of water Blocking sunlight .
I have a deck that goes Half way around the pool.
I've researched shrink wrap and it's not recommended due to the deck.
.Any thoughts????

There would

Interesting thought about leaving the edges in the water and somehow pinning it down. I've not heard that one before. There's no doubt that strong winds and a pool cover can cause serious damage to an AGP shell. Sometimes I wonder if the effort and potential damage of using a cover on an AGP is worth the effort. Once the leaves are gone, just leave it exposed. Disconnect plumbing, cover the skimmer and/or add some foam noodles in there, and let it freeze. But that's just me. Let's see if we can get other AGP owners to chime in with some thoughts.

I don’t drain that far down. A couple or 3 inches below the skimmer. I plug my returns. & I keep the cover pumped off
I also use large binder clips to help with the windy wind flap fest lol 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.