All over the map

Steve Bee

Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2018
Ontario Canada
Hi,

I am having some issues dialing in the SWG. I can't seem to get a consistent daily FC loss, mainly because the pool usage has varied and it has spent a decent amount of time covered. I've gone from losing 3.5 ppm FC in a day to losing basically none!

2 nights ago I tested and my FC was 4. I forgot to turn pump on yesterday morning and it was only started around 3:30pm. After 2 swimmers swimming for less than an hour and the pump running for 6 hours I gained nearly 2.5ppm!

Steve,

FC usage will never be stable day to day.. It will trend up and down over a longer period, but day to day FC usage is based upon, bather loads, CYA, amount of sun the pools see that day, etc.

The cell of course has no idea what the FC is... the cell just produces the amount of chlorine you have it scheduled to produce... So one day it might produce too much, and the next day not quite enough.

Like aussieta, I too run my FC a little 'hot' so that I don't ever have to worry about it going below the minimum...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Oh I know it will never be a constant, I'm having issues even making a good guess at this point because the typical influences don't seem to be producing the typical FC usage.... but we are still only really in week 2 or 3 of opening our first pool. Need some POP I guess and just keep the testing up.

What I have luckily determined is that I definitely don't need to run my pump for more than 5 hours to replace FC. Now to get a timer so that I can run the pump at off-peak usage hours. The electricity rate where I live is more than double in peak time during the summer. So ideally I would run my pump timer at night for FC generation, and then just manually turn on when swimming or vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.