All levels normal, pool still dark green

The TA range is just that, a range. Our advice is to let your TA settle at whatever level is best to keep your pH as stable as possible. Things like aeration from waterfalls, sheer descents, high pH or TA fill water, etc effect the ability to achieve a stable pH.

Try keeping pH in the upper end of the range, say 7.6 to 7.8. If it goes above 7.8, lower no further than 7.6. See if that helps things equalize.

Take care.

Our Heyward sand filter is on the fritz, been pumping about a pound of sand per day into the pool for the past couple of days. My internet research led me to believe that I've got a cracked pipe inside the unit and after calling the local pool store he agreed that's likely the case. We were quoted $450 to repair what we have and replace all the sand but the pool store rep recommended we replace entirely for $975. Apparently Hayward hasn't made our model of filter for over 10 years and he claimed the newer filter does a better job and that something else could just as easily break on the old filter next year due to its age. I'd planned on going with the new filter but then he made a couple comments that made me wonder what's going on -- unfortunately I was out of town and my wife handled the call so I wasn't able to follow up with any other questions, but this is what he said.

My wife told him we were using bleach to sanitize the pool. He advised us to immediately stop doing this as it would ruin our vinyl liner. Can anybody comment on his statement?
He also said that when we had our CYA problem he could've fixed it without draining the pool. Is there a way to do this or is he blowing smoke up her butt?

I was ready to believe him about up-selling to a new sand filter until he made those 2 statements. Is the guy being truthful or should I try and find another pool company?

You can hire a R.O. company (reverse osmosis) company to remove the CYA and CH but man are they pricey!

There is a product that is being sold that SAYS it will lower the CYA levels. Several people tried it but it did not work :( Here is some threads about it: CYA remover

Liquid chlorine is safer that powder chlorine because it will not sit on the bottom of the pool and mess up the plaster or vinyl IF you pour it in front of your return with the pump on. I ruined my last pool using pool store stuff :( The liner gave out with me in it :shock: I did not get a new pool until AFTER I found TFP. It has been smooth sailing since!

Kim:kim:

Our Heyward sand filter is on the fritz, been pumping about a pound of sand per day into the pool for the past couple of days. My internet research led me to believe that I've got a cracked pipe inside the unit and after calling the local pool store he agreed that's likely the case. We were quoted $450 to repair what we have and replace all the sand but the pool store rep recommended we replace entirely for $975. Apparently Hayward hasn't made our model of filter for over 10 years and he claimed the newer filter does a better job and that something else could just as easily break on the old filter next year due to its age. I'd planned on going with the new filter but then he made a couple comments that made me wonder what's going on -- unfortunately I was out of town and my wife handled the call so I wasn't able to follow up with any other questions, but this is what he said.

My wife told him we were using bleach to sanitize the pool. He advised us to immediately stop doing this as it would ruin our vinyl liner. Can anybody comment on his statement?
He also said that when we had our CYA problem he could've fixed it without draining the pool. Is there a way to do this or is he blowing smoke up her butt?

I was ready to believe him about up-selling to a new sand filter until he made those 2 statements. Is the guy being truthful or should I try and find another pool company?

Depending on how handy you are, you can likely replace the broken lateral yourself. Google the model number of your sand filter, find the manual for it (which should include all the part numbers), and see if there's a company that sells those parts. Example here for a Hayward S200 sand filter and associated parts.

If you're looking to actually replace the filter, again, if you're handy, you can do it yourself for much cheaper than the pool store. Just search for "hayward sand filter" (or "pool sand filter" if you want multiple brands) on Amazon and you'll see plenty for sale, with some of them even Prime-eligible.

Depending on how handy you are, you can likely replace the broken lateral yourself. Google the model number of your sand filter, find the manual for it (which should include all the part numbers), and see if there's a company that sells those parts. Example here for a Hayward S200 sand filter and associated parts.

If you're looking to actually replace the filter, again, if you're handy, you can do it yourself for much cheaper than the pool store. Just search for "hayward sand filter" (or "pool sand filter" if you want multiple brands) on Amazon and you'll see plenty for sale, with some of them even Prime-eligible.

Already done and strongly considering doing it myself. The entire process looks simple on youtube when it was done right in the 1st place, but of course mine wasn't. Previous owner didn't use unions so I'm going to have to cut. The filter has plumbing coming off 2 of the 3 ports that have 90 degree bends in less than 12" which will make it a pain in the butt. I'll probably have to cut everything away and start new. Also don't know if I can even fix my current filter since they appear to have glued PVC to the existing multiport valve's wastewater port. Frustrating summer for this pool but at least I know to never get one again.

Already done and strongly considering doing it myself. The entire process looks simple on youtube when it was done right in the 1st place, but of course mine wasn't. Previous owner didn't use unions so I'm going to have to cut. The filter has plumbing coming off 2 of the 3 ports that have 90 degree bends in less than 12" which will make it a pain in the butt. I'll probably have to cut everything away and start new. Also don't know if I can even fix my current filter since they appear to have glued PVC to the existing multiport valve's wastewater port. Frustrating summer for this pool but at least I know to never get one again.

If you decide to hire it out, i recommend getting a second opinion from a (reputable) licensed plumber in the area. Sometimes, because they do this type of work on a daily basis, they can beat pool store pricing...simply because it can take them fewer hours to complete the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.