Alkalinty vs ph?

bbrown11

Jun 8, 2019
St Augustine, fl
So I have a new pool and have been having problems balancing the chemicals. The pool was built and filled in early February and the swg was installed at the end of March. I have been having thr pool store test my water which I now know is a no no. I ordered a test kit but wont recieved it to end of next week. My numbers yesterday were
FC-0
Ph-7.8
Ta-110
Calcium- 350
Cya-90
I added a gallon of chlorine and 7 cups acid. Had it re rested today
FC-5
Ph-7.8
Ta-80
Calcium-375
Cya-60
Why wont my ph drop? I added another cup of acid today. I was running my swg at 40% for 9hrs a day and after a week or so my chlorine readings drop to 0 so I bumped it up to 80% yesterday. If I keep adding acid isn't my ta going to get to low? My water is clear and has been since the pool was built?

Welcome to the forum!
Can you fill out your signature? Without some details on your pool (volume, surface type, equipment, etc) it is difficult for us to provide guidance. Also, you posted pool store test results. Do you have your own test kit? The forum does not like to provide guidance based on pool store tests as we find them inaccurate and not reliable. For instance, I doubt very much your TA and CYA dropped by 30 ppm in one day. Unless you drained 1/3 and filled your pool with very low TA water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

PH anywhere in the 7s is fine. 7.8 is good.

Wait until you get your own test kit to adjust anything other then chlorine. Pool store tests are too unreliable.

pH will rise with new plaster for up to a year. And then it still could if your fill water is high in TA, you have aeration of the water, etc.

You need your own proper test kit for us to help you. See Test Kits Compared. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

How long every day are you running your SWG at what %?

You have a small pool and a big SWG 4X your pool volume. You have to adjust both the % and run time to get the CL you need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm running it 10hrs a day... I was told for every 10 deg run it for 1hr? I bumped the % up sat to 80% cause I was getting a 0-FC reading from pool store I just bumped it back down to 40%? I cant seem to find the right balance with the chlorinator
No, you wouldn't, not depending on pool store tests.

An hour per 10 degrees is some kind of hogwash. I get by with 2 hours a day plus some extra when vacuuming. You might need longer depending on dust, swimmer load, and how much FC your generator can make.

You'll get this figured out. In a couple weeks this will all be as mindless and routine as brushing your teeth.

The pool is screened in my daughter and 2 of her friends swim 2 to 3 times a week right now. What do u suggest for pump run time and swg %? I thought by running the pump longer in the fl heat it would keep from burning the chlorine? Any info is much appreciated

I would suggest targeting about 1.5 ppm FC creation per day. Your IC40 will add 0.6 ppm FC to your pool in 1 hour at 100% setting. So you can determine % setting and pump run time to create the 1.5 ppm per day.

The IC40 only gives you % adjustments in 20% increments if not connected to automation. So 40% will give you .24 ppm/hour. I would try running your pump for 6 hours at 40% or 12 hours at 20%. Then adjust your pump time up or down to get more or less chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.