alkalinity not important in salt water pool?

Now I was told this is not important in a salt water pool.

Who advised you that alkalinity was not important in salt water pools? Alkalinity acts as a buffer. You will have to find what works best for your pool. You can never go off recommendations as some pools need a very low TA, while others can operate at higher without having such swings in PH.

From my experience, without an SWG and at CYA of 30-50, my TA needed to be at around 60-70 so no PH drift (I had rotating heads and still use them), which probably contributed to the PH rise. With an SWG (installed last year), my CYA was increased to 60-70 and my TA even at 100 created no PH problems with 6 rotating return heads.

You will have to find what works best for your pool, but do not go lower than 60 as Cowboy Casey recommends. Now that leaves are falling, the returns are the regular eyeballs so the leaves do not get kicked tot he bottom of the pool.

PH directly effects the safety of your water for people and equipment. You want to always keep your PH in range.

TA alone does not affect the safety of anything. But TA affects your PH rise rate and your CSI. So to manage your PH you often need to adjust your TA. You should not be adjusting your TA without considering the way your PH is changing day to day.

PH is the important measure. You manage TA as necessary to control PH within the range you want.

PH directly effects the safety of your water for people and equipment. You want to always keep your PH in range.

TA alone does not affect the safety of anything. But TA affects your PH rise rate and your CSI. So to manage your PH you often need to adjust your TA. You should not be adjusting your TA without considering the way your PH is changing day to day.

PH is the important measure. You manage TA as necessary to control PH within the range you want.

Okee that's clear, and do I control the alkalinity (TA) by adding bicarbonate soda if it is too low?

Okee that's clear, and do I control the alkalinity (TA) by adding bicarbonate soda if it is too low?

TA is rarely too low. First describe what your PH doing and then you determine if TA needs adjustment.

What is the TA of your fill water?

If TA is really too low it is likely because of the techniques you used in lowering your PH.

What are your pool tests?

TA is rarely too low. First describe what your PH doing and then you determine if TA needs adjustment.

What is the TA of your fill water?

If TA is really too low it is likely because of the techniques you used in lowering your PH.

What are your pool tests?

Add this moment I have a Salinity meter a TDS meter and a PH meter.
so far I understood I need an alkalinity meter to see the TA level.

We have many times a low PH what is then corrected with soda ash .
To find out why the PH is not stable I googled it and read that the reason is that the alkalinity might not be good.
Then I asked here to be sure if that is the case because then I will order a Hannah alkalinity meter.

Please correct me if my conclusions are wrong

Are you calibrating your PH meter regularly with 7.0 standard solutions?

Meters are not as accurate and reliable as chemical drop tests unless they are regularly calibrated.

You need to find a way to get a Taylor K-2006C test kit. See Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the PH of your fill water compared to your pool?

I don’t know that low PH alone eats away grout. What is the surface of the pool? All tile?

You need to get all your chemical values so that you can calculate your CSI. Read Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI))

You do not need an alkalinity meter. The test kit you ordered has a drop test for alkalinity. Much more accurate.

K-2006 will do the TA test. I have no experience with an alkalinity meter and have not heard of anyone using it with a pool.

You may also want to order the Amazon.com : NEW Taylor 9265 Magnetic Stirrer Speedstir Start-Up Pack w/ Stir Bar + Batteries : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden Outdoor which makes the testing easier and more consistent.

It was only available at Amazon but the shipping cost are the same as the device.
A little bit to expensive together.

Too bad I do want it but not for 70 euro

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.