Raise Alkalinity without raising PH levels

Saltwater-Taffy309

Feb 12, 2024
Debary, Florida
I have a SWG and I have to constantly add muriatic acid to lower PH level. My total alkalinity was at about 110-120 when I first added muriatic acid, it's now at 60. My SWG manual says to keep alkalinity levels at 80-120. So how do I keep the alkalinity levels within 80-120 but also keep PH levels in the ideal range since they're practically out of control with my SWG???

Current levels :

Free Chlorine - 8
CYA - 60 ish
Total Alkalinity - 60
Salt - 3800
PH level - 7.4 (after just adding muriatic acid, will likely be back up to 8+ in a day or two)

I have a SWG and I have to constantly add muriatic acid to lower PH level. My total alkalinity was at about 110-120 when I first added muriatic acid, it's now at 60. My SWG manual says to keep alkalinity levels at 80-120. So how do I keep the alkalinity levels within 80-120 but also keep PH levels in the ideal range since they're practically out of control with my SWG???

Current levels :

Free Chlorine - 8
CYA - 60 ish
Total Alkalinity - 60
Salt - 3800
PH level - 7.4 (after just adding muriatic acid, will likely be back up to 8+ in a day or two)
Just add baking soda and then muriatic acid and repeat that cycle as necessary???

Your SWG manual has recommendations from the last Century. Ignore it and follow TFP modern recommendations used by hundreds of thousands pool owners.

TA of 60 is fine. Don’t touch it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My SWG manual says to keep alkalinity levels at 80-120.
It probably also says to clean the cell with acid whether it needs it or not.

It says alot of other hogwash things also.

Like the 80 to 120 TA recommendation that's for tab fed pools. Which yours isn't. But because it's a rec for them, it has to work for you.

Your 60 TA is perfect for a SWG pool. Let it be.

Also only dose the PH when it hits 8+, and only lower it to a high 7.

Reactions: Mdragger88
How are you testing?

So how do I keep the alkalinity levels within 80-120 but also keep PH levels in the ideal range
That's an unwinnable battle, so don't try to fight it. TA down to 50 is perfectly fine.

Just add baking soda and then muriatic acid and repeat that cycle as necessary???
No. Stop adding baking soda. A non-trichlor pool (such as yours) will likely never need baking soda. TA down to 50 is perfectly fine. pH will likely stabilize in the high 7s (which is also perfectly fine) when your TA is 50-60.

Okay but the TA will continue to lower as I continue to add muriatic acid.
As your TA approaches 50-60, your pH rise will be very slow and any MA additions need to be much smaller, only lowering the pH into the high 7s. This will keep the TA from going below 50.

Reactions: Bperry and newdude