Alkalinity high

Mar 28, 2013
My Alkalinity is really high, will a ph reducer bring down the Alkalinity? My ph is in a good range though. I'm also aerating my pool with my deck jets.
Thanks, really appreciate it
Johnny
in ground 10000 gallon

Johnny,

Really "high' means different things to different people... Especially those members from Colorado... :p

Unless you tell us what your current number are, we can't be of much help...

What is your current...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you wish to lower TA read this Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

However, there is normally no reason to press the issue with the TA unless your CSI is being forced into the scaling region.
As you add acid (use muriatic acid, not dry acid) to lower your pH you will be addressing the TA level, albeit slowly.

What is your location? Please add that to your Member profile.

Hey Johnny, loved your exercise show!

Yes, pH reducer will work to lower TA. It's just dry acid. Muriatic Acid is a better choice, but since you already have it, use it. Lower pH to 7.2 and then aerate. Aeration will make pH rise but won't raise TA. Just keep repeating it. This thread shows what I mean by aeration: Sufficient Aeration to Incrase pH (Photo Attached))

More here: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Unless you're having trouble keeping pH down, or you live somewhere with extremely hard water, there's really no reason to worry about the TA level or go to any great pains to lower it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.