Algae will not go away

You only need to focus on FC while following the SLAM process.
Are you following the SLAM Process process exactly? Testing FC 3 times a day and adding liquid chlorine as needed. Brushing daily? Running pump 24/7.

Please post a picture of your pool. Put the brush in the deep end for reference.

Why are you adding baking soda and muriatic acid at the same time? They cancel each other out.
Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

You only need to focus on FC while following the SLAM process.
Are you following the SLAM Process process exactly? Testing FC 3 times a day and adding liquid chlorine as needed. Brushing daily? Running pump 24/7.

Please post a picture of your pool. Put the brush in the deep end for reference.

Why are you adding baking soda and muriatic acid at the same time? They cancel each other out.
Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.
My husband was following directions from the Taylor test kit.
Yes I've been following the SLAM process daily as you directed. I will post a pic tomorrow when the lighting is better.

During a SLAM you should not be adding anything other than chlorine.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT ;
  • The water is clear. (including no visible algae)

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

2 nights ago we did the OCLT. We lost 1.5 FC ppm. Since CYA is lower we are going thru 1 1/2 gal. Bleach approx.
Also the water is clear until you start brushing it. It gets a little cloudy. I've read all the ABC"s and the SLAM articles. I'm just dealing with an inpatient other half. Who doesn't follow directions well. My current health is not conducive to this scrubbing. I'm doing the best I can at the moment.
Thank you for your help and patience.

All the patience is needed on your end. Unfortunately patience is the hardest part at the end of the SLAM process.
I can't tell if that 1 1/2 gallons of bleach is a lot or not, not enough info. Although based on your 7600 (or 6500) gallons, that does sound like a lot. What % bleach are you using? How much FC are you loosing per day?
The pool is usable as long as you can see clearly to the bottom, FC is under SLAM levels and of course warm enough for your liking.

All the patience is needed on your end. Unfortunately patience is the hardest part at the end of the SLAM process.
I can't tell if that 1 1/2 gallons of bleach is a lot or not, not enough info. Although based on your 7600 (or 6500) gallons, that does sound like a lot. What % bleach are you using? How much FC are you loosing per day?
The pool is usable as long as you can see clearly to the bottom, FC is under SLAM levels and of course warm enough for your liking.
10 % when I can get it. Otherwise 6% from Walmart.

PH 7.8

FC 7
added 1 &1/2 gal. 6% chlorine

TA 95

CYA 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you let us know how you are getting the CYA of 10ppm?
If it is 10ppm, that may explain a good amount of your FC loss each day. We recommend at least CYA of 30ppm during the SLAM process.
192oz (1.5 gallons) of 6% bleach is 13ppm in 7000 gallons of water. That would bring your FC to 20ppm. That is the SLAM level for a CYA of 50ppm.
Are you saying the loss during the OCLT is between 1 and 1.5ppm of FC?

Can you let us know how you are getting the CYA of 10ppm?
If it is 10ppm, that may explain a good amount of your FC loss each day. We recommend at least CYA of 30ppm during the SLAM process.
192oz (1.5 gallons) of 6% bleach is 13ppm in 7000 gallons of water. That would bring your FC to 20ppm. That is the SLAM level for a CYA of 50ppm.
Are you saying the loss during the OCLT is between 1 and 1.5ppm of FC?
We are testing with the Taylor fas/dpd kit. It is a 6400 gal. AG .With a higher CYA it means more chlorine to reach slam level. We started out a mth ago with a CYA of 60. I was advised to not be concerned with any other chemicals until all algae was gone. It's exactly a mth later and I still have algae. I've brushed and vaccumed at least daily. When able 2-3 times. I'm getting conflicting instructions and already have a small fortune in bleach. Plus water and electric bill. Running pump 24/7. Sorry just really frustrated right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.