Algae on Walls / Floors - Water Balanced

jmusits

May 22, 2019
Greenfield Center, NY
Hi All,

Getting consistent algae growth on my walls / floors. Water chemistry is good, keeping my FC in range, adding in about a half gallon of 10% daily. After brushing or vacuuming the liner looks great, but will start to accumulate algae after about 3 day. Is there something I should be doing differently? I can’t add a picture from my phone (forum software says it’s too big). I’ll post some later when I can get to my computer. It’s yellowish brown and splotchy.

Thanks for your help!

Short answer: SLAM Process

You have algae. And brushing and maintaining normal levels of chlorine knocks it down but doesn't knock it out. And so it gets back up to fight another round. This is no civilized boxing match. This is a battle to the death. You need to knock it down hard and then kick it again and again and again until it is dead. That's the SLAM Process

You should also get behind and beneath and inside lights and ladders because algae can lurk there. Toss any pool toys in to soak while it's at high FC, too.

Reactions: cr0ntab
Thanks for your response. I’m familiar with the SLAM process. What’s throwing me off is that I pass an OLCT, have 0 CC, water is sparkling clear. This is also a new pool that isn’t 100% complete, as in no ladders and the liner still hasn’t been cut to expose the lights (more to come on this in another thread when the legal battle with my PB is over), so there isn’t any place for algae to hide.

Maybe I am being naive, but is a SLAM really the answer here, or is there something else going on?

What are your test results when you see the green and brush it?

What do you mean by "in range"? You're adding half a gallon of 10% a day, but what does that do to your FC? Is that meant to bring it up to your target for your CYA level or does that put you mid-range? Does it do what you expect it to do when you add it? When are you testing? Before or after you add chlorine?

I'm not sure what you want the algae to be other than algae. You're even saying it's algae in your post. Do you want some other kind of magic algae potion? There is none of that here. You need to SLAM if you see algae. :poke:

With my CYA of 30 my FC should be between 2 and 6 according to pool math. When I test I am typically getting between 2.5 and 3.5 (I might have had a couple 1.5 readings over the past month). Adding in 64oz of 10% brings me up to the high end of my recommended FC.

Sounds like a SLAM will be started in the morning. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything else.

FWIW, at 30ppm CYA I like to aim for 7 at night when I dose, and consider 3 my minimum. While that's not what Pool Math says, it keeps me always above minimum and also seems to allow for mistakes such as forgetting to dose or being away and people swimming without me knowing, etc. That's just what I do... you don't have to but so far it seems to work well for me and takes into account any error with CYA testing that might actually be closer to 40.

When was your last CYA test?

When you fall below your minimum, that's a chance for algae to grow. Sounds like it did one of those times and has now actually bloomed so that you can see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test your CYA again if you've backwashed and refilled much since then. I just had to add 10ppm to my pool to get it up to 30 again.

Have you used any solid chlorine like trichlor or doctor since the last CYA test?

I just ordered me some hairnets. Good to know they work that well.

CYA at 30 then is probably accurate. If you have the TF-100 you've got plenty of reagent to double check once a month. Might add that to your list for tomorrow in the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.