dcarey72

May 14, 2023
Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all! New to this group and having trouble with algae on the walls. One whole wall seems to be worse than the other, but luckily it is not the whole pool. We have had the pool a little over a year and never had algae or cloudy water, just battled high CYA last summer. I have a Taylor kit and did a 30ppm shock Sunday night, if I did it right. I used 5 gallons liquid chlorine, and made sure my pH was good first. I am still brushing off some algae daily. My levels last night were: FC/TC level says 10, pH 7.8, CYA 60 and TA 90. I just ordered the FAS/DPD addition for my Taylor kit. Hope to have it soon. The water is clear, just not sparkling. Any suggestions? I maintenance regularly, look at the pool daily, empty baskets and skim top surface daily, brush the pool and use the robot weekly. We keep 3 pucks of chlorine disks in the feeder. TIA!

I had the same problem as you a few years ago...algae would only form on the shady walls of the pool. The only way to truly rid yourself of it is to follow the SLAM process. You'll need time...it will take at least a few days and require lots of liquid chlorine and testing. Don't try to rush it.

Reactions: dcarey72
We keep 3 pucks of chlorine disks in the feeder.
Also, the chlorine pucks will add CYA to your water. If you keep using them, CYA will get too high and make sanitizing your pool harder and harder. If/when you do the SLAM, make sure you stop using the pucks and only use liquid chlorine during the SLAM process.

And just to be clear, the SLAM is a process of raising your FC up to SLAM level and keeping it there for several days through frequent testing and replenishing chlorine.

A one time shock may knock back the algae but does not completely kill it all like the SLAM process.

Reactions: dcarey72
Also, the chlorine pucks will add CYA to your water. If you keep using them, CYA will get too high and make sanitizing your pool harder and harder. If/when you do the SLAM, make sure you stop using the pucks and only use liquid chlorine during the SLAM process.
Do you suggest not using the pucks at all and only use liquid form now on, even after the SLAM? If I do, will I need to add CYA at some point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Current CYA is 60
You wouldn't want to go much higher than this. Your SLAM chlorine level would be 24ppm. The CYA will slowly drop over the coming months and eventually you would need to add more. If you have pucks left over, they can be good for trips when you'll be away for a few days. Using them every once in awhile is manageable, the CYA just rises quickly if you use pucks continuously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.