Algae Help!

I PASSED OVERNIGHT TEST!!!!! 🎊🎉🥳👏👏

ok, I am glad that is over with!!!!!
But, now I need to slowly bring up CYA correct? Do I bring it to 70 (ideal 60-80)??

For PH it’s advising I add Borax or Baking Soda….I’ve never used any of this before. Which one is recommended as I have both.

Also, if I raise CYA to 70 the recommended FC is to be at 8 ppm. What % do I set the SWCG to run at?

I also run my FC at 9-10ppm, just know that above 10ppm you can have trouble getting a good pH reading using the drop / color match test. If you have passed all the SLAM tests then raise your CYA in 5ppm additions over several days as calculated by Pool Math. Without changing your SWG setting, test FC just before it turns on for each day to determine your ideal level and lowest, or low enough, daily FC loss. Members who complete a successful SLAM should earn a badge to display their new skill.
So do I test the water with pump running to circulate to get a true Fc reading before starting SWCG?

and test in the evening correct? To see what the loss is for the day? But doesn’t weather affect FC? If it’s super hot, cloudy, wind, or usage of pool?

PASSED OVERNIGHT TEST!!!!! 🎊🎉🥳👏👏
:party::party::party:

But, now I need to slowly bring up CYA correct? Do I bring it to 70 (ideal 60-80)??
Normally we advise creeping up on the target as it’s hard to undo if you overshoot. But you don’t have that far to go. You can either add 10 ppm twice, or maybe add 15 and go from there.
For PH it’s advising I add Borax or Baking Soda….I’ve never used any of this before. Which one is recommended as I have both
7.5 is fine for now. Don’t worry about the ‘ideal range’. The PH will probably come up on its own soon enough.
Also, if I raise CYA to 70 the recommended FC is to be at 8 ppm. What % do I set the SWCG to run at?
Plug your model into the ‘effects of adding section’ of pool math to see what the production is with your unit. You can get both the runtime and % in the same menu to see what you need to maintain X FC a day. Or hang tight for someone to do the math that’s familiar with your model.
So do I test the water with pump running to circulate to get a true Fc reading before starting SWCG
It adds slowly so you won’t see any big change if you turn it on before testing. But definitely circulate the pool so that’s good and mixed first.
and test in the evening correct? To see what the loss is for the day
For now test morning and evening to get a good baseline. It’s a bit of a chore but an ounce of prevention whoops a pound of cure here, as you’ve seen. :) Go from there once you are comfortable with how your pool is behaving at this point in the season. If your FC is a little off, adjust the SWG accordingly up or down. If the FC is low and anywhere below target range, dose with liquid for a now boost and then adjust the SWG up. Try again tomorrow to see if it worked. Watch it like a Hawk until you prove to yourself that it’s doing what you need.

Reactions: poolmom21
I PASSED OVERNIGHT TEST!!!!! 🎊🎉🥳👏👏
a hooray for you!!!!!
So do I test the water with pump running to circulate to get a true Fc reading before starting SWCG?
Always have the water circulating 30 mins or so before taking a water sample to test. This provides the best overall mixture of your pool.

Reactions: poolmom21
and test in the evening correct?
I find it best to test in the morning before the SWCG has run, if possible. That will be the lowest point for FC each day.

Set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC each day to start. Adjust as necessary. Your SWCG will need to be at 100% generation for 14 hours each day to make that amount of chlorine.

I find it best to test in the morning before the SWCG has run, if possible. That will be the lowest point for FC each day.

Set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC each day to start. Adjust as necessary. Your SWCG will need to be at 100% generation for 14 hours each day to make that amount of chlorine.
So set the SWCG At 100% chlorination??
I have a variable speed pump From 8-2 pm At 3105 rpms running on high and from 2:15-6pm at 50% 1725 rpms. Do you recommend different settings/speeds?

The SWCG we have is up to a 40,000 gallon water pool. We have approx 25,000 gallon water pool.

I run my VSP 24 hours a day. My "Low Speed" setting is enough to get the salt water generator flow switch to activate. For me, this is 1250 RPM, which is only 84 Watts. I have my VSP run at "high speed" twice a day for 2 hours which makes skimming better. The "most likely" swim times are 8AM and 6PM, so I skim just before those times (6AM-8AM and 4PM to 6PM). My "high speed" setting is 2800 RPM, which is ~750 Watts.

You have the same size pool, same SWG, etc. and are at a similar latitude. You have more consistent sun/UV than I do. I run 70-80 ppm CYA (presently 70 from a bunch of rain). Run 24/7, my setting is 30% on the Aqua Rite and I run 24/7. If you run 24/7, you may need to adjust to around 50% this time of year. I like to run at the high end of the spectrum due to an "irrational" fear of mustard algae. So I run about 10 FC. I'd suggest running 8-10 FC and test in the mornings. Start at 50% 24/7, which will generate about 3.5 ppm FC per day.

The SWCG we have is up to a 40,000 gallon water pool. We have approx 25,000 gallon water pool.
Correct. If run at 100% generation for 24 hours per day, it will generate 4ppm FC worth of chlorine for a 40000 gallon pool.

You need to set it at 100% generation for 14 hours per day. Then if FC goes up consistently, turn down the % generation or reduce the run time. If FC falls, add run time.

Last edited:
Congratulations Poolmom! I’m happy for you and it’s seems like you’re pretty happy too (rightfully so). Enjoy your pool and thank you so much for sharing the whole experience here. It was interesting even for those who are not currently having any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct. If run at 100% generation for 24 hours per day, it will generate 4ppm FC worth of chlorine for a 40000 gallon pool.

You need to set it at 100% generation for 14 hours per day. Then if FC goes up consistently, turn down the % generation or reduce the run time. If FC falls, add run time.
Does it matter if some of that time is 5 hours high speed pump and 9 hours on 50% low speed? Or as long as I run for 14 hours the speeds don’t matter?

I run my VSP 24 hours a day. My "Low Speed" setting is enough to get the salt water generator flow switch to activate. For me, this is 1250 RPM, which is only 84 Watts. I have my VSP run at "high speed" twice a day for 2 hours which makes skimming better. The "most likely" swim times are 8AM and 6PM, so I skim just before those times (6AM-8AM and 4PM to 6PM). My "high speed" setting is 2800 RPM, which is ~750 Watts.

You have the same size pool, same SWG, etc. and are at a similar latitude. You have more consistent sun/UV than I do. I run 70-80 ppm CYA (presently 70 from a bunch of rain). Run 24/7, my setting is 30% on the Aqua Rite and I run 24/7. If you run 24/7, you may need to adjust to around 50% this time of year. I like to run at the high end of the spectrum due to an "irrational" fear of mustard algae. So I run about 10 FC. I'd suggest running 8-10 FC and test in the mornings. Start at 50% 24/7, which will generate about 3.5 ppm FC per day.
Has your system ever failed for running it 24/7?

Or as long as I run for 14 hours the speeds don’t matter?
As long as the flow rate is sufficient to close the flow switch on the SWCG and it generates chlorine, you can run it at whatever pump rpm you like. The lower the better for electrical savings. I suspect you run can slower than the 1725 rpm you are using for low now.

Last edited:
+1. For reference mine worked great at 1200 RPMs and skimmed/filtered fine, which is the real reason you are running the pump. You only need to run it high enough to skim/ filter and activate the SWG.

To find where the SWG turns on, run it low and add 100 RPMs until the unit kicks on. Add 100 RPMs to account for the filter getting dirty from use and that’s your baseline. From there see if it keeps the pool clean and adjust the RPMs up further if it doesn’t.

Some folks just let it run low 24/7 at an electric cost around $20 a month. Others run 12+ hours slow and 2+ hours at a higher speed for better skimming (when needed).

I’m no expert, but I have been running mine 24/7 for a month or so now and it seems to be working fine. I run it at a high speed for a few hours during the day to skim better, but frankly, I’m not sure it matters. There’s no doubt the pool stays cleaner with it skimming all the time.

As for the SWG, I have it set at 30% and that keeps my pool around 9ppm. Of course that won’t likely work for you, but it didn’t take long to dial that in.

I’m no expert, but I have been running mine 24/7 for a month or so now and it seems to be working fine. I run it at a high speed for a few hours during the day to skim better, but frankly, I’m not sure it matters. There’s no doubt the pool stays cleaner with it skimming all the time.

As for the SWG, I have it set at 30% and that keeps my pool around 9ppm. Of course that won’t likely work for you, but it didn’t take long to dial that in.
I need to disperse and maintain it at 8ppm.

I have a variable speed pump From 8-2 pm At 3105 rpms running on high and from 2:15-6pm at 50% 1725 rpms. Do you recommend different settings/speeds?
There is one other item I will add to your VS pump schedule. There is no reason to stop and then restart your VS pump in the middle of the day. You don't state the specific model of Hayward but must VS pumps will run at the highest rpm that is scheduled. So If you would set your normal speed - lets use 1725rpms - from 8am to 6pm so that is 10 hrs. Then set another schedule from 8am to 2pm at 3105rpm. The pump will understand that it must run at the higher rpm from 8am to 2pm then turn it self down to the lower rpm from 2pm to 6pm. It will not switch off and restart.

Now saying that - it was stated by Marty that you should run your pump & swcg 14 hrs a day to generate the 4ppm of FC. This is to replenish the lost of that amount of FC each day due to bather load and UV sunshine. So if you are maintaining your FC at 8ppm it will slowly decline due to UV and bather load but the SWCG will generate FC to keep it up near 8ppm. So the stated 4ppm is compensate for the daily lost of FC.
So a possible schedule would be
6am to 8pm (14hrs) at 1725rpms. This should allow your SWCG to continue to produce FC throughout the day.
Then set a higher rpm to facilitate skimming such as from 5pm to 7pm (or pick any 2-3 hours that you wish) and set that for a higher rpm - say 3000 rpm.

Now if you want to reduce your SWCG from 100% to lets say 80%, then you need to run your pump for 17hrs to produce the 4ppm of FC.

Hope all of this makes sense and does not overwhelm you. The goal is to let your pump run as much as you wish for a full time without start and stopping throughout the day.

Omg 🤦🏻‍♀️ I printed a chart but just realized the chart is not from TFP but a site that uses TFT for reference. Yes, you are right 3-5 ppm for CYA of 70.
You ‘screwed up’ in a way that would have resulted in a safety net of extra FC. There is no harm in running a tad hot until you become one with your pool. You will maintain the same +\- range, just starting with a higher baseline.

Reactions: mariane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.