LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2014
Midland TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am getting the pool cleaned up this year and am experiencing something new when I backwash. I have a SandDollar filter with a 1.5 horse pump. It is starting it's 6th season.
When I am filtering the system works fine and of course the pressure climbs as the filter works its magic. When I go to backwash the system It is fine for about 3 seconds and then it starts "surging" and it looks like air bubbles will come out of the clear bubble you watch. This surging will continue and the bubble (which has always allowed just a little weeping on startup of back wash) will just allow quite a bit of water and air to shoot out 3-4 inches. Not gallons mind you, but way more than it has done in the last 5 years of use. There is plenty of water in the skimmer, and there are NO air bubbles in the bowl over the pump basket. It does not make any bubbles or surges when it is in filter mode or in recirculate. Only in Backwash or rinse.
If I missed a thread about this I apologize but the new site didnt give me any results when I tried searching.....
Thanks for you help in advance

@ranger_ric, this is an interesting phenom, I'm curious what the equipment experts will suggest.

Only question I can think of off hand is: Have you recently changed and/or cleaned out the filter/media? (possible there is a misplaced gasket/alignment?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.