Air in Pump Basket

Really there should be no air. If there is, it is coming from somewhere. I have seen lids with micro-cracks in the plastic that leak. You can sometimes test for this but running water slowly over the top while seeing if the air goes away or put some plastic over the lid. Also with lids the o-ring is always a suspect. From time to time you will get air that makes its way from your returns/skimmers but this should usually work its way out of the pump basket. No matter how much air is in my basket, if I turn the pump to full speed, it will quickly disappear.

It's not uncommon for VSPs to show a small amount of air when on low for a long period of time. Many VSP owners will program their pump to ramp-up once or twice a day which should purge small amount of air trapped in the basket. But if the problem gets worse and the amount of air increases, then investigating may be worth while. Also make sure all the typical suction side items were addressed at install. Example - basket O-ring lid lubed well by the installer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.