Pump Basket fill

Did you vac to waste ? Is the water level mid skimmer ? Also check the weir doors are flapping freely.

Either your main drain has better plumbing then the skimmer or you have a suction air leak in the skimmer line.
So I do use one of those special baskets in the skimmer, Skim Doctor with a sock and it really helps pull the water in but maybe the sock is actually slowing it down? I am not losing water so I dont think it is a leak. I was just always told the skimmer should be more pull than the main drain.

Skim Doctor is a floating weir. Is there a "whirlpool" forming in the skimmer? Those floating weirs can cause them. That could also account for air in the pump.
It does but it doesn't go all the way down, I dont hear any air being sucked in and I am not seeing any bubbles out of the returns. I mean I guess it is possible I could always try opening it more to slow it down.

I was just always told the skimmer should be more pull than the main drain.
Yes. For better skimming. The bottom needs no circulation, but if you have drains, you might as well give them a little of the suction. But not enough to hinder skimming.
I mean I guess it is possible I could always try opening it more to slow it down.
You have no excess air when using the drains and excess air from using the skimmer. It's skimmer leg related. The timing of the issue doesn't point to a suction side leak in the plumbing. Pull the hairnets, basket and adjust for full flow to rule them out. It may take a little bit to clear the pump basket after.

Pull the hairnets, basket and adjust for full flow to rule them out. It may take a little bit to clear the pump basket after.
I am not sure what you mean by pull the hairnets? You saying pull out the skim doctor, and put the skimmer on full flow see what happens? I also do not have the weir door on I removed that when I got the skim doctor.

Gotcha, yes I have the sock on the skim doctor itself so I will pull it all out now and see what happens.
well, I left the basket out for the rest of the day. I also turned the main drain off completely and I had no change. I’m really not sure why this is so complicated. I feel like I should be able to have my main drain off and and not have this issue. It also seems to max out on PSI during the priming phase. So for now, I put everything back in and I opened up the main drain a little bit more than how I had it before I would have to assume it’s at about 50% now and I guess we’ll see tomorrow if the pump basket fills up. It’s pretty much to the top. It’s just not filling completely. Normally all I see. Is one minor bubble in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well when I turn my returns back on for the bubblers and spa, my basket fills fine no bubbles.

I there is something with the skim dr I guess but maybe I just dont have the patience to figure it out. I am pouring acid into my pool weekly anyway for the Ph so I guess I will just leave the water features on.