Air bubbles do not cease when the solar is on

Wow. I return--10 days later. Feels like I have gone off to college and graduated. I have been schooled--Pool Schooled!

I have been managing my water the way I did growing up--when we had a DE filter. Apparently, all the backwashing back in the day took care of the CYA build up, unlike my current cartridge filter. Algae has been my problem all along!

I would be happy if I only had to clean this filter once a month. I think my next "upgrade" will be a SWG, so I can keep chlorine in this pool, and CYA out!

It is amazing how much better my flow is, even this week while the pool was in shock. I don't have to rob suction from my skimmer just to run my cleaner--I can leave both valves open and the cleaner runs around good enough. Operating suction starts at 4 inches. Filter pressure starts clean at 6 psi. Filter pressure rise was only 3 psi all week, and that is before the shock process was completed. Happy happy!

I will still install the new check valve and increase the plumbing to two inches this winter. Hopefully I can get the SWG done before spring. Any idea how much a SWG will increase TDH?

I am getting ready to re-pipe the pressure side of the pump, including new Jandy check valve. I will also be using a 2" PVC coupler to go over the outside of a Jandy valve. Is there a special glue or procedure to glue up these valves to pvc pipe? I have the standard PVC glue, but I do not have any CPVC glue or experience with that in combination with PVC pipe. Thanks for any help.

Its clear to me that your solar is all plumbed 2" and your vacuum breaker is at the top so the only thing keeping the pressure on the vacuum breaker above zero is the restriction to flow through the 2" return pipes back down to the pool. With your pump change that flow is reduced and so is the restriction. Its no surprise that the vb opens and you get constant air. That is why the vacuum breaker should always be on the pipe entering the solar panels. That puts it down from the top and it puts restriction through solar panels downstream of it. That will keep it closed and presto no more air. If you doubt this analysis simply go on the roof and listen to the vb. You'll hear a sucking sound. That's the sound of this lengthy thread sucking the life out of anyone who is interested in this topic. Just kidding. Ha Ha. Seriously. If that's not it then check the pump lid seal but the pump lid seal doesn't leak when you downsize the pump. There's less suction now. Its the vb position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.