Air bubble in return

emac

May 24, 2017
abbeville, SC
Pool system is probably 6 years old. I havent had this issue before. I am getting air into the system. I have checked the skimmer lid (at the pump) replaced the o ring, swapped lids, and replaced the o ring at the coupling on the skimmer side (suction) side of the pump. Nothing seems to make it better.

When I undid the coupling I noticed the PVC pipes dont align perfectly. I am thinking I could shim the pump a bit and make it better. I dont have any water leaks.

Do they make a PVC connector that has a flex to it? I checked online and didnt see anything. I am thinking of re plumbing the PVC line coming into the pump, so i was wondering if their is any other options than the 2 inch rigid coupling with an o ring. Thanks.

Pool system is probably 6 years old. I havent had this issue before. I am getting air into the system. I have checked the skimmer lid (at the pump) replaced the o ring, swapped lids, and replaced the o ring at the coupling on the skimmer side (suction) side of the pump. Nothing seems to make it better.

When I undid the coupling I noticed the PVC pipes dont align perfectly. I am thinking I could shim the pump a bit and make it better. I dont have any water leaks.

Do they make a PVC connector that has a flex to it? I checked online and didnt see anything. I am thinking of re plumbing the PVC line coming into the pump, so i was wondering if their is any other options than the 2 inch rigid coupling with an o ring. Thanks.
Waterway Swivel Pump Union, 400-4481. Not inexpensive but they work.

Here is my set up. I think the problem is the valves. I have never had them apart. I took apart the manual one and one of the o rings was pinched. I rarely turn that valve and I bet it was stuck and twisted the o ring. I had some o rings that were pretty close and put them in. Seems a little better. I ordered a stock of o rings and I will replace all the orings in each valve. Hopefully that will get rid of the air. I will post back how it goes. Thanks.

20230403_160628 Medium.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
Use a hose and slowly run water over your plumbing and fittings. I mean SLOWLY. You probably would have found the valve leak that way. Check inside your water line skimmer for cracks in the wall. That is where my big air leaks come from.

Reactions: emac
When looking for a suction side air leak two useful tools are old style shaving foam and food wrap film. Suspected areas can wrapped with plastic food wrap to provide a temporary seal or coated in shave foam while watching for the foam to show up in the pump’s basket.

Reactions: emac

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When looking for a suction side air leak two useful tools are old style shaving foam and food wrap film. Suspected areas can wrapped with plastic food wrap to provide a temporary seal or coated in shave foam while watching for the foam to show up in the pump’s basket.
Nice tip! I will remember that, I hope.

Thanks for the help guys,
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.