Sep 10, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All,

I have a top loader washing machine that smells kind of funky. As usual, I ran some vinegar through it, and that took care of the smell, but it left flecks of gunk at the bottom of the drum. This makes me think that there's more gunk hidden in the machine. I have some Ahh-some for our jetted tub and wonder if I can use it in the washing machine. More importantly, I'm wondering if it will actually get rid of the gunk for good (or at least until next time) instead of just freshening up the smell. Has anyone used Ahh-some "off label"? (I've seen @Ahhsomeguy around and wondered if he might have some tips.)

~Teany

They market a product for washing machines and dishwashers. I have it. Works great! It might be the same product? I use a teaspoon of it. Dissolve it in warm water and pour it in the detergent spot for washing machine. Use a hot water cycle.

Reactions: Decoy205
You can definitely use the hot tub cleaner in the washing machine. Use only 1/2 level teaspoon placed in the actual washer drum itself. No clothes should be in the machine while cleaning. Run on a short HoT Water Cycle. You may notice a worse smell after this cleaning. However, just do a regular load with your detergent and the smell ,will go away. Will biofilms return? Yes! Run this gel a few times a year for best results. It works amazingly well and the washer drain line will finally get de-gunked. Our washer/dishwasher product is not the same as the hot tub cleaner but it will work almost as well. You may need to run the hot tub cleaner twice to do the job of one run with the Washer/Dishwasher Ahh-Some Since there is greatly less detergency in the gel.

I use Ahhsome all the time to clean out my clothes washer and my dishwasher. I can attest to how well it works because I had the drum changed out once and the repair guy was floored by how nice and clean the steel drum and plastic tub was. He said that he usually hates pulling the drums on washing machines because the soap scum and human detritus gunk makes him gag (detritus is my word, the words he used to describe it are not allowed on TFP 💩).

You can definitely use the hot tub cleaner in the washing machine. Use only 1/2 level teaspoon placed in the actual washer drum itself. No clothes should be in the machine while cleaning. Run on a short HoT Water Cycle. You may notice a worse smell after this cleaning. However, just do a regular load with your detergent and the smell ,will go away. Will biofilms return? Yes! Run this gel a few times a year for best results. It works amazingly well and the washer drain line will finally get de-gunked. Our washer/dishwasher product is not the same as the hot tub cleaner but it will work almost as well. You may need to run the hot tub cleaner twice to do the job of one run with the Washer/Dishwasher Ahh-Some Since there is greatly less detergency in the gel.
@Ahhsomeguy So can I use the washer/dishwasher cleaner in hot tubs or is that a no no.

I believe it was @Mdragger88 that said switching to powdered soap stops the front loader stank/gunk. I have seen a big decrease since switching to ALL pods, most likely from being a smaller dose per cycle. It will likely still happen, just take longer to build up.

Reactions: kul
You can but will need to use substantially more gel. I would recommend using 1 level teaspoon for each 75-80 gallons of water Instead of the recommended 1 level teaspoon for each 125 gallon capacity. It will work for you.

Joyful is soooo right. Our cleaner cleans many areas you cannot see when opening the washer door. Under that drum can be colonies of bacteria that are firmly entrenched and cause slow draining after a wash and rinse cycle.
when Ahh-Some come in contact with it the biofilms react. We open the pores and some nasty smells can present themselves. We call all that nasty stuff the ”fungal jungle”.

I believe it was @Mdragger88 that said switching to powdered soap stops the front loader stank/gunk. I have seen a big decrease since switching to ALL pods, most likely from being a smaller dose per cycle. It will likely still happen, just take longer to build up.

My washer has a 30 day reminder light on it to use the “Affresh Clean” cycle. Affresh is just a giant oxiclean tablet. While the Affresh will help to reduce odor by killing bacteria, it’s surfactant properties are quite limited.

@Ahhsomeguy - is it ok to run bleach or non-chlorine bleach (stabilized peroxide essentially) along with your cleaner product?

I ask because my Affresh Clean cycle first runs water through the bleach compartment in case a person is running just bleach instead of an Affresh tablet. I was wondering if Ahhsome + small amount of oxidizer would be ok or would it just degrade the Ahhsome and make it less effective?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every 1 to 2 months we run a clean cycle per our Kenmore Elite manual with bleach. We always wipe inside glass, soak up any water left in the tub rubber seal, and leave door half open when done with washing.

I strongly recommend a little bleach added 5 or so minutes AFTER the Ahh-Some has been working. High concentrations of bleach will affect the Ahh-Some effect. Add a little after the Ahh-Some has been in the appliance for a short time and the combination of the two will provide for a very effective cleaning.

Well, the Ahh-Some worked great! I had already done 3 vinegar cycles, but the gunk the Ahh-Some cleaned out was far more than all 3 combined. I looked at the water in the tub after things had been mixing up a bit and started to foam. The water was much, much dirtier than in any of the vinegar cycles, so it's clear that it was loosening a bunch more stuff. It also seems like the biofilm broke down much better because there wasn't nearly as much reside/bits in the tub after the Ahh-Some, as compared with the vinegar. Also, when I take clothes out of the washer, they no longer have that whiff of pond scum. It always disappeared when things dried, and I assumed it was unavoidable. Thinking about it almost makes me want to barf.

Our machine (one of the retrofitted exploding Samsungs) isn't fancy enough to have a reminder to clean the drum, but I've put a Post-It above the Ahh-Some on the counter as a reminder. This will become a part of monthly maintenance. Thanks, everyone!

Well, the Ahh-Some worked great! I had already done 3 vinegar cycles, but the gunk the Ahh-Some cleaned out was far more than all 3 combined. I looked at the water in the tub after things had been mixing up a bit and started to foam. The water was much, much dirtier than in any of the vinegar cycles, so it's clear that it was loosening a bunch more stuff. It also seems like the biofilm broke down much better because there wasn't nearly as much reside/bits in the tub after the Ahh-Some, as compared with the vinegar. Also, when I take clothes out of the washer, they no longer have that whiff of pond scum. It always disappeared when things dried, and I assumed it was unavoidable. Thinking about it almost makes me want to barf.

Our machine (one of the retrofitted exploding Samsungs) isn't fancy enough to have a reminder to clean the drum, but I've put a Post-It above the Ahh-Some on the counter as a reminder. This will become a part of monthly maintenance. Thanks, everyone!

My machine is a Maytag Commercial variety (circa 2013) top loader. I hate front loaders as they are too small and they don’t clean well. I have 6 people plus a dog and probably do 12 loads of laundry or more per week so I need the biggest washing machine possible and the top loader is the only option for that. My dream is to retro fit our washroom to accommodate two washers and two dryers … I miss the days of living in the large apartment complex with a laundry room that had 20 machines in it. But I don’t miss the thought of washing my clothes in the same machines as hundreds of other gross sweaty human beings 🤢

So happy someone asked about this! I do regular vinegar/Baking soda and sometimes bleach, but I’m sure my washer needs this. I won’t look inside while the work is being done because I will definitely 🤮🤢

Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.