AGP sand filter, after backwashing

Apr 22, 2011
Hi all, been here for years but this is my first question in ages. Happy to report that what I have learned here has kept our agp running smoothly for ten years! So thanks for that.
My hayward sand filter (now ten yrs old) is running at 22 aftdr running at 10ish for the previous ten summers. It was opened on Saturday by my pool company.

The pump circle window where you see the water gurgling refuses to fill to the top, where I usually see one tiny bubble jumping around.
I backwashed but it made no difference. The pressure gauge is still at 22. Will that number come down after the pump runs for a bit? Or do I need to backwash again?
thanks!!
kim

My pump did the same but after back washing several times, it seems to have completely filled up. My pressure runs at a constant 16, so when it gets to 20 I back wash. I opened yesterday and have backwashed about 4 times already. The water didn't look too bad, but after slamming it, I can see all of the particles floating, so now just letting the filter do its job.

Reactions: Snickerdoodle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly, have never seen one like that. Mine just screws in and out. I guess for the time being, you could count 8 as zero and go from there. I just checked mine and it was doing the less filled thing in the pump again and the pressure was back up a little, so I backwashed again and the pump filled back up. I know on my first couple days of opening, I have to backwash quite frequently, but then after everything is completely clear, not much at all.

It’s very strange...when the pump runs, the hose from the skimmer does not leak. When I turn the pump off, it leaks. The return eye bubbles when the pump is off. Seems like the whole thing is pressurized. And i don’t know how to fix it. Most frustrating.

It’s very strange...when the pump runs, the hose from the skimmer does not leak. When I turn the pump off, it leaks. The return eye bubbles when the pump is off. Seems like the whole thing is pressurized. And i don’t know how to fix it. Most frustrating.
If it doesn't leak when the pump is running but DOES when pump is off then you are getting AIR in the mix, therfore you're not seeing in the pump lid what you usually see because it's sucking air.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So I guess you’re psi is 21-8 = 13ish?
pretty normal if so. Mine is about 10.5 clean.
that makes sense. I could live with a number 13 But there are a couple of, what I think, are connected issues. The return jet bubbles, even with the pump turned off. The pump never reaches “full” and the hose from the skimmer only leaks when the pump is turned off. To me, it feels like my system is over-pressurized. Is that even a thing??

my pool company is going to bring me another new gauge, hopefully tomorrow.

sounds like when pump is running it is sucking a small amount of air from the leak spot.

That’s 100% correct. There is some kind of air pocket traveling around within my system. A first!! The Pool company is coming back hopefully today to figure it out. The fact that my skimmer hose leaks and my return jet bubbles when the pump is off, is the reason I put 2 and 2 together. kind of a reverse suction thing happening Oy. Hopefully it will get sorted out asap. Will keep thread posted.

That’s 100% correct. There is some kind of air pocket traveling around within my system. A first!! The Pool company is coming back hopefully today to figure it out. The fact that my skimmer hose leaks and my return jet bubbles when the pump is off, is the reason I put 2 and 2 together. kind of a reverse suction thing happening Oy. Hopefully it will get sorted out asap. Will keep thread posted.
focus on the leak and I bet the air bubble problem will be solved. I had this happen at a fitting that just needed tightening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.