Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
In February our pool equipment froze due to the loss of power for a couple of days. Replaced the VS pump, the multi-port unit, the booster pump, various pipes and am still waiting on the DE filter to arrive hopefully next week. I don't know about the heater yet... AND this week I have a green pool. Here are my readings:

CYA - 100 :oops:
PH - 7.8
FC - 3
CH - 475
TA - 80
I ordered a robot that should be here any day. (I didn't even know those things existed until this week..) Can I run the robot before the pool is up and running? I'll need to drain the pool quite a bit before I slam, right? Is 30 - 60 my target CYA? Thank you in advance.

(I have an appt, but will be back here tonite.)

I would not clog up your clean new robot with algae and run it until after you begin thevSLAM Process

You can pour a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in the pool daily and stir it with your pool brush until you get your equipment running.

Drain 60% from your pool to get your CYA 30-40 for the SLAM Process

You sure your CYA is 100 and not higher? Did you do the dilution CYA test?

Reactions: imrodee
For the CYA test I did the regular CYA test.. 1/2 pool water and 1/2 solution and waited 30 seconds. Put the mix in the plastic tube until I could not see the dot. The dot disappeared at 100. I ran this on 2 different "black dot" tubes to be sure. Yeah, I'm kind of not wanting to put the new robot in that water too. Does it help keep the water moving while waiting on parts? I can still see the bottom of the pool, it's just greenish - not at all what it's supposed to be.

Keep chlorine in the water. Moving water around does not matter.

Do the dilution test to know where your CYA is at...

CYA > 90 dilution Test​

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.
If you need to dilute the pool water further then apply these ratios:

Pool waterTap or distilled waterMultiply result by
Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - not an absolute.

See CYA Testing for tips in how to read the test results.

@allen, thank you. I did dilute the pool water as you said. It’s not sunny outside, but it’s bright enough I think. The dot disappeared at 50 x 2 = 100. Should I dilute more? Thank you.

@allen, thank you. I did dilute the pool water as you said. It’s not sunny outside, but it’s bright enough I think. The dot disappeared at 50 x 2 = 100. Should I dilute more? Thank you.

No, that conforms you are really at CYA 100.

So you need to drain 60% - 70% of your water to get your CYA at 30-40 before the SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New problem.. installed the new filter, filled the basket and started the pump. Pushed the filter button on Easytouch and it came on. Discovered some of the unions have cracked. It ran just a few minutes and turned itself off. The filter button was still lit up. I turned it off, came in the house to try the wall control. Nothing. Tried again from outside, it started up, and so did the heater (I didn't touch the heater button, then the Whisper thing came on by itself). Found another cracked union after all of that. I shut everything off, heard a big gurgle and noticed the spa had drained down 2 inches. I refilled the spa and flipped the breaker off.
Any ideas?

Replace the cracked unions. Then try again until you find all the damage.

Replace the cracked unions. Then try again until you find all the damage.
Thank you. I must have forgotten to switch off the breaker last night after spotting the leaks because today while in the kitchen I looked up and the cleaner was running. It had only been on a minute or two. I ran out and put DE in the new filter and let it run. The leaks are minor, so I let the Polaris clean up the debris. I kept the skimmers cleaned out and the VSP cleaned out and let it run. Tonite 90% of the leaves are cleaned up, the pool is cloudy from the new movement and it actually is looking blue-ish. I still have to drain the pool to get my CYA down before I slam. My robot arrived today.... but I didn't use him yet. I'm letting the Polaris stir things up and pick up as much as he can. (He is so awesome at picking up stuff..) So we are on the road to recovery.

The random on and offs may have been due to previous scheduling on the Easytouch. I hope so. Tuesday I hope to run the robot in there to help me with the slam scrubbing. Unless that's a bad idea with the extra chlorine..? Nite all - hope ya'll had a super Easter. We sure did.

Drained pretty much 3/4th of the pool today with a commercial pump from HD. Got inside and scrubbed every square inch, jets and lights and scooped up leaves, (COLD!) Poured a gallon of bleach in pool & hot tub while it was low, with no equipment running, just me and my brush. Refilled pool after scrubbing was done. Cleaned the NASTY brand new filter by taking it apart - ugh, skimmers, basket, etc. Tomorrow will run the new robot (Mobi Richard) and start slam after testing. Anything else before I start? I'll post my test results to see if you have any suggestions. Thank you!

OK, here's where I'm at: drained pool, got in (cold!) and scrubbed all jets, lights, walls, gross grotto, picked up leaves. Took filter apart, sprayed the fins, Put 6 pounds of DE in the skimmer. Put the robot in to finish cleaning up the grit on bottom.

RESULTS TODAY after fill:
FC: 1.5
TC: 1.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 90
CH: 300
CYA: 40

So far I've only put in 121oz of HD bleach (Cloralen) because Moby isn't finished cleaning. Then I'll start slamming the pool. I't's supposed to rain tonite, so I might not have the best luck tomorrow.

Reading the chart for slamming, to kill all the yellow algae, I need to go to raise the FC to 23.8?

Thanks!

Not sure where you got 23.8 from but CYA 40 requires slam of 16
I have mustard algea and Chem geek's chart. ( saved it from a while back.. it may be old.) I have to be gone for about an hour - but will check back.
TEST RESULTS RIGHT NOW:
FC: 14.5 after 5 gal of bleach (Cloralen)
PH: 7.8 after 2 cups of MA - no change.. hmmm.

I have mustard algea and Chem geek's chart. ( saved it from a while back.. it may be old.) I have to be gone for about an hour - but will check back.
TEST RESULTS RIGHT NOW:
FC: 14.5 after 5 gal of bleach (Cloralen)
PH: 7.8 after 2 cups of MA - no change.. hmmm.
Don't bother checking PH cuz any FC over ten renders your reading inaccurate. Don't add MA either as for all you know it's too low.

Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.