After SLAM, PH hovering 7.5ish. Add acid?

Aldis

Jul 11, 2020
Anderson SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I recently SLAMmed my pool and it seems to have gone well. My TA was a bit low. I raised it from 50 to 60. After poking around in the forum I see that I should maybe work on my pH rather than TA. My pH seems to be hovering around 7.5-7.6. According to the Pool Math app this is “within range” but also high? App says I should be at 6. I have Muriatic acid from Lowe’s. Bottle says 31.5% so I guess I choose the 29% option form the app drop down menu? I’ve learned better to start with less and add more if needed so I’m thinking maybe add a gallon then see what happens. App says add 3 gallons. Just want to make sure I’m on the right track here before I start pouring the acid. Any input, suggestions, confirmations, alarms, etc? Thanks.

Attachments

• 56291045-DCE1-4EAB-BAB1-6671E9302ED1.jpeg
    56291045-DCE1-4EAB-BAB1-6671E9302ED1.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 5
I’m curious why differing values in the Pool Math app? Screenshot attached from my current pH values. Recommended, Ideal and Target values differ. How should I interpret this? Thanks.

Attachments

• 7A378818-0A2F-41B1-9F88-90A5D2AC857F.jpeg
    7A378818-0A2F-41B1-9F88-90A5D2AC857F.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 14
I’m curious why differing values in the Pool Math app? Screenshot attached from my current pH values. Recommended, Ideal and Target values differ. How should I interpret this? Thanks.
You set your target pH. Why is it 6?

Set the target pH to 7.6 which is in the middle of the range.

pH anywhere in the Recommended Range is fine. I don't live in an ideal world like some other people apparently do.

Reactions: Aldis and mknauss
That is not possible. Can you screenshot what the app is showing you?
The app fills in that 6. Is that correct? The app fills in all the values automatically if I understand right. Please educate me if I’m not using the app correctly. Sorry if this is redundant, I also posted a second thread about this very question.

Attachments

• CF935BB2-0307-434C-B9DE-CEB7AAEDCB41.jpeg
    CF935BB2-0307-434C-B9DE-CEB7AAEDCB41.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 10
It will put in the midpoint unless you override it. You must have entered a 6 in that spot. Change it to 7.6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will put in the midpoint unless you override it. You must have entered a 6 in that spot. Change it to 7.6.
Ok I can change it. However I have never entered anything in the app save for my test results. The app fills in “targets”. I have the option to change them, they are highlighted in blue, but I don’t because I don’t know where I would get those values. I am depending on the app to do the calculations. I’m referring to all the values in the app not just the pH I’ve shared here but also the FC and TA etc. Am I misusing the app? My understanding was I enter my test results and the app calculates the “target” and recommends the chemicals if I miss the mark. This is why I made the second post—it is more focused on how the app works and maybe I’m confused. It wouldn’t be the first time.

You set your target pH. Why is it 6?

Set the target pH to 7.6 which is in the middle of the range.

pH anywhere in the Recommended Range is fine. I don't live in an ideal world like some other people apparently do.
Why is it 6–that is precisely the question. The app entered a 6 there. I have the option to change it but I don’t know what I would change it to and never have. I only enter my test results. I thought the app did that. Same question as my post below. Just trying to clear the murky waters.
Perfectionism is overrated 😃

Reactions: Texas Splash
The app provides a 'suggested' Target. You, as a knowledgeable pool owner, can change that to what you wish the target to be. Do NOT blindly follow the app. It is great at storing your data and calculating the amount of chemical to add based on the input you provide it.

The app provides a 'suggested' Target. You, as a knowledgeable pool owner, can change that to what you wish the target to be. Do NOT blindly follow the app. It is great at storing your data and calculating the amount of chemical to add based on the input you provide it.
Aha! Then I misunderstood that critical aspect of the app. I don’t consider myself a knowledgeable pool owner at present but I’m working on it. I appreciate all the help I can get on that journey.
So follow up question is how, as a not very knowledgeable new pool owner, do I determine my targets? Is it the midpoint of recommended values? Is that a place to start? I think you may have mentioned that earlier. I’ll continue to rummage around in the forum for pertinent info. In the meantime, it seems my pool is pretty balanced and that’s kind of exciting.

how do I determine my targets?
Always best to go to the link below. In time you'll have much of it memorized and have a good routine.

Even when you think you are in the ideal range(s), you may still have a question, or the APP may recommend something you aren't quite sure of. That's when you come back here for a sanity check. We'll go over it with you.
Thanks! It’s a whole different game now that I understand the app doesn’t put those targets in.
I am in the process of SLAMming again bc I still had some cloudiness and was losing a little too much chlorine each night. Again appreciate all of the help and explanations.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.