Advice on replacing polaris 360 or installing booster bump for 380 or some other cleaner?

jjean

Sep 10, 2022
allen, tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Our old polaris 360 is nearing its end (has been rebuilt many times and is duct taped together right now!). We do NOT have a booster pump. We back to a creek and get a TREMENDOUS amount of leaves and debris. We must have the valves tweaked just right between the beach jets, spa overflow, etc. to get enough pressure for a good spa overflow. When the polaris is running it does affect the flow somewhat. We also have a waterfall feature with an underwater jet but that has its own dedicated pump. We remodeled about 1 1/2 years ago and replaced our filter cartridge to a new Jandy 580. We still have the original jandy aqualink system and are saving to replace that with a new automated system.

Would love some advice, please! Should we
1) just replace the polaris 360?
2) Pony up for a booster pump and get a 380? ... would that help with pressure/power? and if so how much would that cost? or
3) replace with some other cleaner?

The 360 currently plugs into a dedicated side jet (?). We had it with an actuater but when that went bad they just put in a regular valve we can manually turn off and on.

I appreciate any advice and cost estimates as we try to budget for all this. Thank you!!

Our old polaris 360 is nearing its end (has been rebuilt many times and is duct taped together right now!). We do NOT have a booster pump. We back to a creek and get a TREMENDOUS amount of leaves and debris. We must have the valves tweaked just right between the beach jets, spa overflow, etc. to get enough pressure for a good spa overflow. When the polaris is running it does affect the flow somewhat. We also have a waterfall feature with an underwater jet but that has its own dedicated pump. We remodeled about 1 1/2 years ago and replaced our filter cartridge to a new Jandy 580. We still have the original jandy aqualink system and are saving to replace that with a new automated system.

2) Pony up for a booster pump and get a 380? ... would that help with pressure/power? and if so how much would that cost? or

The 360 currently plugs into a dedicated side jet (?). We had it with an actuater but when that went bad they just put in a regular valve we can manually turn off and on.

I appreciate any advice and cost estimates as we try to budget for all this. Thank you!!
Have you considered a robot? They do clean better but are a bit more hassle if you take them out when done, and some people report them not lasting as long.

I used to have a 280. Hated the tail! My then pool guy converted my pressure line to a suction line, and then installed a Pentair Rebel suction side vac. I also had trouble getting the vacuum and the skimmer balanced correctly, and getting enough power (suction) to either. I then added an actuator to the valve that controls the balance between skimmer and vac, and that solved it. My pool automation system dedicates 80% suction to the VAC for an hour and a half each day, and then the rest of the cycle is for skimming. It’s now ideal!

I was very happy to get rid of the booster pump. I would recommend you don’t go down that path, as it’s just one more thing to break down, and more electricity to vacuum. I also really like cleaning out the pump basket where the debris collects, as opposed to hauling out the vac to clean a little tiny bag all the time. You’ll have the same issue with a robot, but robots are much heavier, and so the chore will be that much more taxing.

Not all pressure lines can be converted to suction, but it’s worth looking into. If you have to keep the 360, or buy a new one, I would look into restoring the actuator. The last thing I would recommend is a 280.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjean

You would be happier with a pressure-side booster-pump cleaner. The 280 has a larger throat and bag than the 360/380. Don't be fooled by the fancier, and much more expensive, models like the 3900, they cost a fortune to repair, and everything breaks.
You would also need a time clock, of reprogramming of automation, to run one.
Cost of the cleaner and pump online is about $1000.00. Then there is the installation as there would need to be some, most likely minor, replumbing if your cleaner is now plumbed after the filter. If after the pump the replumb could be a bit more extensive.

You would be happier with a pressure-side booster-pump cleaner. The 280 has a larger throat and bag than the 360/380. Don't be fooled by the fancier, and much more expensive, models like the 3900, they cost a fortune to repair, and everything breaks.
Cost of the cleaner and pump online is about $1000.00. Then there is the installation as there would need to be some, most likely minor, replumbing if your cleaner is now plumbed after the filter. If after the pump the replumb could be a bit more extensive.

Thank you! So does that mean we would need to replace the system now to accommodate the booster system ? You mention a “time clock and reprogramming of automation” I don’t understand that.

Have you considered a robot? They do clean better but are a bit more hassle if you take them out when done, and some people report them not lasting as long.
I have not heard of those but I’ll check it out. Ty!

I used to have a 380. Hated the tail! My then pool guy converted my pressure line to a suction line, and then installed a Pentair Rebel suction side vac. I also had trouble getting the vacuum and the skimmer balanced correctly, and getting enough power (suction) to either. I then added an actuator to the valve that controls the balance between skimmer and vac, and that solved it. My pool automation system dedicates 80% suction to the VAC for an hour and a half each day, and then the rest of the cycle is for skimming. It’s now ideal!

I was very happy to get rid of the booster pump. I would recommend you don’t go down that path, as it’s just one more thing to break down, and more electricity to vacuum. I also really like cleaning out the pump basket where the debris collects, as opposed to hauling out the vac to clean a little tiny bag all the time. You’ll have the same issue with a robot, but robots are much heavier, and so the chore will be that much more taxing.

Not all pressure lines can be converted to suction, but it’s worth looking into. If you have to keep the 360, or buy a new one, I would look into restoring the actuator. The last thing I would recommend is a 380.
Thank you for all that great advice!

Reactions: Dirk
I used to have a 380
Sorry, I meant 280. I used to have a 280. I corrected my post. The 380 looks a lot like my 280, so I expect my advice would still be the same regarding the 380. I didn't notice any difference in cleaning ability between my pressure 280 and my suction Rebel. But I have a very clean pool, so I don't know how the two would stack up in a leafy/dirty pool.

I am a pressure cleaner fan.

Do you have a dedicated return line to use with a booster pump? If not then you can’t install one.

I am a pressure cleaner fan.

Do you have a dedicated return line to use with a booster pump? If not then you can’t install one.
That’s a good question…I think we have had some pool people tell us we could install a booster pump in the past if we wanted? So maybe? The Polaris 360 has a side jet it it plugs into. The valve that controls that pressure is now manual but used to be an actuator. That valve is close to the filter. Would that indicate a dedicated return line?

Are all the Polaris basically pressure cleaners? But some have a dedicated booster pump and some don’t? Is that right? We have been pretty happy with the 360 but it doesn’t do it all in the fall and we scoop a LOT and lately started also using the “leaf demon” as well - but that broke. We lose a little pressure on the whole system when we run the 360 and we barely have enough pressure to run everything properly (spa overflow, beach jets, etc) . We need to replace that 360 and just trying to figure out if the expense of a booster pump would be worth it to have better pressure and clean better? Ty!

Sorry, I meant 280. I used to have a 280. I corrected my post. The 380 looks a lot like my 280, so I expect my advice would still be the same regarding the 380. I didn't notice any difference in cleaning ability between my pressure 280 and my suction Rebel. But I have a very clean pool, so I don't know how the two would stack up in a leafy/dirty pool.
So the rebel is a suction cleaner and the Polaris 360 or 380 (or 280) are pressure cleaners? And the 280 and 380 require booster pumps? I think i’m learning!! Ty!

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why are you running spa overflow and beach jets when the 360 is running?

My 380 runs 6AM to 8AM when nothing is happening in the pool.

Sounds to me like a new 360 with some tuning up would work fine for you.

Reactions: Dirk and jjean
So the rebel is a suction cleaner and the Polaris 360 or 380 (or 280) are pressure cleaners? And the 280 and 380 require booster pumps? I think i’m learning!! Ty!
Also- we get sooooooo many leaves and debris as we back to a creek. I use the Polaris leaf bag in the fall and still have to empty hourly - and scoop a lot!!

I use the Polaris leaf bag in the fall and still have to empty hourly - and scoop a lot!!

All the Polaris cleaners use the same bags. Changing the model will not change that.

All cleaners have limited capacity to do big cleanups.

Why are you running spa overflow and beach jets when the 360 is running?

My 380 runs 6AM to 8AM when nothing is happening in the pool.

Sounds to me like a new 360 with some tuning up would work fine for you.
the system was set up for the polaris to run basically all the time. I don't even think i used to be able to program that. If i didn't want it to run i just would unplug it from the wall and take it out of the pool... But now that the actuator is just a manual valve I can turn it off.

the system was set up for the polaris to run basically all the time.

That will wear out a Polaris cleaner quickly. It is all plastic and not made to run all the time.
I don't even think i used to be able to program that.

What pool control system do you have?

If i didn't want it to run i just would unplug it from the wall and take it out of the pool... But now that the actuator is just a manual valve I can turn it off.

What actuator and valve are you talking about?

Show us your equipment pad setup.

I also get a ton of leafs and like my 360. I had a robot for 3 years until it died, it was great for getting up the small dirt but can't justify the cost for something that may break after 3 years. Plus it didn't do any better with leaf's.

I was lucky and found a " used" 360 online and it looks brand new. Might check around.

the system was set up for the polaris to run basically all the time. I don't even think i used to be able to program that. If i didn't want it to run i just would unplug it from the wall and take it out of the pool... But now that the actuator is just a manual valve I can turn it off. We are also saving to replace our

That will wear out a Polaris cleaner quickly. It is all plastic and not made to run all the time.

What pool control system do you have?

What actuator and valve are you talking about?

Show us your equipment pad setup.
The circled valve is the one that used to be an actuator and is now manual. It controls the pressure to where the polaris attaches to the side. We are hoping to replace our old jandy aqualinks this year and maybe we can program things better then...we will consider any other changes needed as well. ty! (also pic of all the beautiful trees - the price being all the leaves, blossoms, berries, etc that fall in the pool!)

Attachments

• IMG_7003 Copy.jpg
    IMG_7003 Copy.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7004.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7002.jpg
    IMG_7002.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 4
That’s a good question…I think we have had some pool people tell us we could install a booster pump in the past if we wanted? So maybe? The Polaris 360 has a side jet it it plugs into. The valve that controls that pressure is now manual but used to be an actuator. That valve is close to the filter. Would that indicate a dedicated return line?

Are all the Polaris basically pressure cleaners? But some have a dedicated booster pump and some don’t? Is that right? We have been pretty happy with the 360 but it doesn’t do it all in the fall and we scoop a LOT and lately started also using the “leaf demon” as well - but that broke. We lose a little pressure on the whole system when we run the 360 and we barely have enough pressure to run everything properly (spa overflow, beach jets, etc) . We need to replace that 360 and just trying to figure out if the expense of a booster pump would be worth it to have better pressure and clean better? Ty!
Beautiful pool and setting, but hard on a pool.

You have the 360 plugged into a separate port that is controlled by a valve at the equipment and it can be converted to a booster-pump type cleaner with little problems, just some, usually minor, replumbing. Not sure how many items your Jandy controls, but if there is a free relay (it should be Aux 1 so some re-wiring may be needed) you would be "good to go."

Your 360 gets its water before the filter, through a very small filter, you would be able to send all the water to the main filter and your other items, like the spa overflow, would work better.

That tiny "Energy Filter" was for a Jandy RayVac, not a bad cleaner when they worked. They seldom did are haven't been made in over 20 years. That filter would be eliminated and the booster pump would get its water after the main filter, from the return line going to the pool only.

I have a terribly "dirty" yard for a pool environment, many evergreen-type trees (here when I moved in) that drop "stuff" into the pool 24/7/365. I would be without my 280. It replaced my 180 (the original) over 25 years ago.

You can definitely program things better, maybe with your existing Aqualink, or a new system.

You have a hodge podge of equipment with a Jandy Aqualink and a Hayward SWG and I am not sure what model single speed pump. I suggest you consider not getting another Aqualink that locks you into the Jandy ecosystem and get a Pentair IntelliCenter, VS pump, and SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support