dmattle

Jul 16, 2020
Elk Grove, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I currently have a 21 year old Super Pump 2 (1 HP version) . I have Compool CP100 that I use for automation. The motor currently installed is a 1 HP Service Factor 1.4 single speed. It's 11 years old and a little noisy. I have solar panels and built in spa, So I need full speed when running spa, solar and cleaning. I'm in California and electricity is $0.1765/kWh. Options 1 or 2 preferable as I don't want to spend that much money. Any advice is appreciated.
  1. Should I just buy another single speed motor and replace Drive Train pump parts including Go Kit? Cheapest option but higher electricity than Variable Speed motor. Local pool store sells them but they can't install because its not Title 20 compliant. I have not problem with installing myself.
  2. Buy Variable speed pump with remote control unit and replace Drive Train pump parts including Go kit? I would need to control pump motor speed using mobile phone when enabling solar, spa or cleaning.
  3. Buy a new pump with variable speed motor. I would need a different automation control system to adjust speed for solar, spa and cleaning. Pump and automation system would cost around $2500.

You cannot do option 1. California title 20 requires all new or replacement pool pumps greater than 0.5 hp to be variable speed.

You can buy option one and do self install but why would you do that when VSP is much more efficient.
You cannot do option 1. California title 20 requires all new or replacement pool pumps greater than 0.5 hp to be variable speed.
Thanks for you reply. You think its ok to install VS motor onto a 21 year old pump although changing out the drive train pump parts? Or do I need to replace the pump?

Probably more cost effective to replace it completely.

Have you investigated if you can upgrade the Compool to an Easytouch?
Yeah I did check that out several months ago when my Compool was having issues. Looks like that Compool upgrade supports the IntelliFlo Variable pump. Perfect combo! Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.