Advice on replacing main drains and sumps?

May 16, 2018
Olive Branch, MS
I asked this question in my introductory post but it didn't get many views. I thought I'd try again.

I plan to replace my 12 year-old liner this summer (still good, but badly faded). I've replaced liners before, so no worries there. However, I have 2 pairs of main drains in my hopper piped to the filter pump and a water feature pump. My robotic pool cleaner likes to climb on top of the the drain covers and park there indefinitely. This is a common problem with my style of cleaner, but none of the solutions I've researched (drain cover clips, ramps, etc.) seem to be a good long-term solution. Since I'm replacing my liner anyway, I thought about replacing my 4 drains with a single channel drain like this:
channel drain.jpg

Since it sits flush with the floor, it should eliminate the cleaner getting stuck.

Just wondering how much work it would be to break out the pool krete, remove the drains, and expose the pipes. I'm not concerned about the PVC work, just not sure how hard it will be to bust out the pool krete well enough to get to everything. Would a good size rotary hammer with proper attachments do the job, or would I need a jackhammer? How hard and how deep is that stuff? Somebody told me that a 0-degree nozzle on a powerful pressure washer might blast it away.

Appreciate any advice.

Steve

Poolcrete is rather malleable, once you penetrate it it’s not hard to remove.

As far as ease, you never know what is buried down there..

That drain will not be flush, a sealing clamp/faceplate will be on top of the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.