Durham, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a Zodiac SWG that seems to have bitten the dust (It constantly says add salt even after I have gotten the salt up to just over 4k ppm). I decided I wanted to put in an automation system with the SWG replacement.

I have gotten quotes from a few places, that seem fairly high (3k+ and 4k+), and a recommendation from one of the guys to stick with with the eztouch4 + screen logic 2 instead of going for the intelicenter.

Has anyone done equipment replacement in Durham NC, do you know what permits are required?

Also, how hard is it to do the install ourselves? My husband and I are fairly handy, but before I start doing too much research on buying the items and installing them ourselves I would like to know what we are getting ourselves into (or if its worth it to have them do the install)

Also, most of our other equipment (installed by previous home owner) is Hayward. Does anyone know if the Pentair things play nicely or if I should look into the Hayward automation solutions?

Last edited:
With a SS pump, no heater and replacing the SWG your equipment will work as well with Pentair automation as Hayward.

Post a pic of your current electrical wiring and timers. It is not hard if you know the difference between 120V and 240V wiring and neutrals and grounds.

You have the equivalent of an old automation panel with your CB and two timers. Basically you replace that panel with an Intellicenter or ET panel. Not difficult if you know how to do electrical work.

It's not too bad to replace the SWG cell? Also, I believe I would have to replace the valves (at least the one that goes to my water feature) with ones that can have an actuator put on?

Am I reading things correctly that the actuators go to a low-powered circuit so wouldn't count towards one of the 4 or 8 ports? I have 2 pumps, a heater, and 2 lights (lights can be wired together). So if I need the actuator on a separate one I'd have to go with the EasyTouch8 as opposed to the 4.

SWG cell is some PVC cutting and gluing. Pentair bundles an IC40 or IC60 with their panels and the panel includes the SWG power supply.

I haven't focused on your water features since they were not in your signature.

ET4 has four relays:

1- Pool pump
2- Water feature pump
3- Lights1
4- Lights2

Heater doesn't take a relay and is controlled by the firemans switch.

Valve actuator is a separate connection.

@Jimrahbe can check my work.

So I should be able to get away with the ET4 instead of the ET8?

There are 2 lights in the pool, that are currently controlled with a single switch in the wall, so I suspect they are (or could be) wired together. I have no need or desire to control them separately.

Secondary pump is actually for the Polaris system, the water fountain is turned on by just opening a valve manually on pvc, it's hooked up to the main pump. So I would replace the current valve with one compatible with their actuators and add an actuator. And if I'm understanding correctly, it doesn't need one of the 4 relays so I would be okay with the ET4.

I wouldn't normally care, but it's a difference of $600 between the two on amazon (single body to pool/spa version, since amazon doesn't have the single body ET8)

Thank you so much for all your help! Still pretty new to pool ownership so I'm trying to get a hang of everything

F,

What Allen says is correct.. In addition, the Pump/Filter relay must be used to power the SWCG. (As well as any single speed main pool pump)

I had an ET 4 and had to upgrade to an ET 8 because I kept finding things to control. I always advise people to buy the New IntelliCenter or an ET 8.. That said, the ET 4 will work for you.

You really want a system with a built-in salt system power supply..

You also want to make sure you NEVER buy the lite version of the EasyTouch.. It will have no load center, only 4 programs/schedules, have a model number with an 'L' in it.. Like PSL4 or PL4...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I'm looking at: Amazon.com : Pentair 520593 EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 Single Body Pool Or Spa Control System, Includes SCG Integration & IC40 Cell : Outdoor Spas : Garden & Outdoor. I was having trouble finding the IntelliCenter somewhere online that I could buy. The two pool people I called (who returned my call), gave pretty high pricing for installation and one didn't want to do the IntelliCenter since it's so new.

For things to automate, I also have a whole home automation system that most anything not directly related to the pool is on that system so any landscaping lights etc would be put on that

F,

I installed two of those ET's (P/N 520593) at two rent houses and they work great.. A pretty easy DIY install, but Pentair will only give a 60 days warranty for a non-professional install.. Did not bother me in the least.. Keep in mind that ScreenLogic is another $400 bucks, so pretty expensive. You can't buy the IntelliCenter on-line..

We always recommend a SWCG that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool, so an IC40 is a little small for you. It will work, but you will have to run it longer and harder... Not a great idea with a single speed pump..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I would have to buy the IntelliCenter directly from a dealer? Any idea what it costs (ballpark) for just the item? As far as I can tell, they want to charge $1000+ to install. One company wants to re-pour my concrete-pads and "properly" space my pool equipment.

It looks like pretty much anything that has the built in salt power supply has the 40 version, except maybe one IntelliCenter that has it included and doesn't include a cell

Last edited:
It also looks like our current cell is only rated for 16k Gallons :cautious:. That might explain why the control board has gone! I suspect even rated for 40k will be much much better

Intellicenter is labeled a Trade Only product by Pentair and can only be sold through stores. That means you need to call for prices and to order. Call

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.